Infamy, Infamy! at York - Fantastic!!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Nick B

Infamy, Infamy! at York - Fantastic!!

Post by Nick B »

Whilst visiting my daughter at York Uni I took the opportuinity to pop inti Vapentrak wargames show for a couple of hours - knowing that a participation game Infamy Infamy, Infamy! was being run.

I was able to have a thorough run through with the rules and great fun as well. Many thanks to John Savage and his team for being so welcoming and accomodating.

I am so impressed by what John has put together with these rules. They caputre the essence of the period brilliantly - lots of nuances and command decisions but remaining a fast flowing, exciting and fun game to play. I particularly like the rules for the barbarians frenzy (probably the wrong technical term) and above all the chariots - which properly reflect their use as battle buses delivering troops into combat rather than fighting platforms.

A great game - I played the Romans and despite holding the main Barbarian charge I took significant shock and was then shattered by a flank charge by ambushing chariots/elite warriors. It all felt appropriate and gave a real feel of the Romans venturing into largely unscouted territory at their peril!

Amazing scenery as well!

Great participation game and I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the final rules.

genew49

Re: Infamy, Infamy! at York - Fantastic!!

Post by genew49 »

Thanks for sharing Nick.

John_savage_uk

Post by John_savage_uk »

Thanks for the great write up Nick and glad you enjoyed the game.

I should say the credit for all the rules go to Mr Clarke. He after all wrote them, and came up with all the clever rules which as you say help to reflect the period so well.

Thank you to everyone else who came along on Sunday and either played or simply chatted. It was great to see you and to share what I think is one of the most exciting rulesets for a longtime (well at least since Chain of Command came out).

The game will be getting another public showing at Hammerhead in March and hopefully will see some of you there!

All the best

John

hendrik

Post by hendrik »

sound great! Do you have any more information as regarding unit types etc for the gauls? I still have about 60 gauls that are waiting to be build but i have no idea how to arm them!

Nick B

Post by Nick B »

Hendrik - John may have some details but I note from the TFL Twitter that Rich is starting work on his Gauls so I guess we'll be seeing some Gallic action soon. I'm building Gauls so anxious to know too! :)

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Gaul on Gaul action! Ahem...

Gauls have Warriors, Elite Warriors or Ambaxtoi and Inferior Warriors who would be local levy. They also have slingers and the possibility for archers although these are rarities. Cavalry are largely noble but with some skirmishers. There is much talk about Gallic cavalry all being noble, but there is also the established fact that these troops came with retinue of stewards and other retainers, so some lighter cavalry are included.

Gallic nobles were largely sword and spear armed. Warriors would certainly have spears and some would have swords. Nobility would be in chain mail, with other warriors less well kitted out and sometimes naked. That said, the Gauls (and Aquitani) were much more organised than the Britons, Belgae and Germans; the latter being almost exclusively spear armed and even their nobility was short of armour.

Warriors in Groups of 8. Skirmishers and Cavalry in Groups of 6.

I hope that helps.

Rich

joe.harrison89

Post by joe.harrison89 »

Looking forward to seeing this game in action. Do you know whereabouts your table will be at Hammerhead yet?

DougM

Post by DougM »

Richard wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:11 am
Gaul on Gaul action! Ahem...

Gauls have Warriors, Elite Warriors or Ambaxtoi and Inferior Warriors who would be local levy. They also have slingers and the possibility for archers although these are rarities. Cavalry are largely noble but with some skirmishers. There is much talk about Gallic cavalry all being noble, but there is also the established fact that these troops came with retinue of stewards and other retainers, so some lighter cavalry are included.

Gallic nobles were largely sword and spear armed. Warriors would certainly have spears and some would have swords. Nobility would be in chain mail, with other warriors less well kitted out and sometimes naked. That said, the Gauls (and Aquitani) were much more organised than the Britons, Belgae and Germans; the latter being almost exclusively spear armed and even their nobility was short of armour.

Warriors in Groups of 8. Skirmishers and Cavalry in Groups of 6.

I hope that helps.

Rich
Errr, warriors in groups of 8? I thought Barbarians were in groups of 10? Help!!!!
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

Atheling

Post by Atheling »

I saw the game but wasn't able to get close due to the obvious public (re:wargamer) interest.

I think I managed a couple of snaps. The Wicker Man was a stroke of pure class 8-)

Pics on this thread.....

https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... 298#p82298

hendrik

Post by hendrik »

Rich, can you confirm the only base sizes are 6 and8 then? (i though it was 10 for warriors?)
I grabbed a set of victrix unarmoured gauls and would love to start building them up already :)
Also, no javelin armed skirmishers?