Brigade skirmish screen stands for Reservists battalions?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

wireme61

Brigade skirmish screen stands for Reservists battalions?

Post by wireme61 »

How are reservists treated when counting skirmish screen bases?

1- If you have 3 standard reservists battalions how many brigade skirmish stands does this produce?

2- if you have 3 reservists battalions and 3 line battalions in 1 brigade how many brigade skirmish stands are produced?

Mark

siggian

Re: Brigade skirmish screen stands for Reservists battalions?

Post by siggian »

I'd KISS this and just let them stay in skirmish. (But I don't actually have a copy of the rules so YMMV)

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I’d just follow the rules on pages 65/66 with each battalion contributing a base to the Brigade Skirmish Screen in the first instance then adjust according to the quality of the Reservist regiment as discussed in paragraphs 3 and 4 on page 13 where relevant.

So the better quality Prussian Reservist regiments could contribute 3 bases, standard quality would lose a base if they equated to 50% or more of the battalions in a mixed brigade with regulars. So 6 or 5 bases.

As to Prussian Reservist Fusilier battalions, they are either sufficiently well trained to deploy wholly in skirmish order or not. The optional rule doesn’t change that in my view.

John

Trailape

Post by Trailape »

The ‘Reservist’ rating suggests to me they are simply well motivated Recruits. Not that they are particularly well trained.
This is reinforced by the fact they revert to recruit status as soon as they accumulate 4 casualties, (and had some of the pi$$ knocked out of them).
So I would treat them as recruits in regards to generating Skirmishers. That is to say 3 ‘reservist’ battalions would generate 2 skirmisher based.
I’d be keen to hear Dave Brown’s thoughts
Cheers
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

NTM

Post by NTM »

Trailape

Post by Trailape »

DB’s answer suggest to me that Reservists are brittle LINE rather than enthusiastic RECRUITS 😄
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Trailape wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:58 pm
DB’s answer suggest to me that Reservists are brittle LINE rather than enthusiastic RECRUITS 😄
I think that’s a pretty accurate summary Scott for most, they lack some staying power but know what they are doing in the main.

John