SP/ECW folk horror

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

LittleLaude

SP/ECW folk horror

Post by LittleLaude »

Hi!

I’m working on an ECW twist on Sharp Practice. I know this has been discussed before and that there is a nice mini-expansion by Ioan Davies-John in the 2017 Christmas special.

I also understand that it is a popular opinion that ECW lends itself better to large actions, not skirmish missions.

So, here’s what’s different. I’m going with the TFL mantra—playing the period, not the rules—and a little creative license; I want to bring ‘folk horror’ to the table.

I’m designing a series of random variables that effect troops in weird ways—LSD laced rye bread, magic mushrooms, lethal moonshine, super scrumpy, dodgy ale, witches ‘curses’, ‘supernatural’ artefacts, etc.

I love the old weird England framing...

(This sort of stuff...

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/new ... olk-horror

...for reference.)

...and reckon it could be a nice way of playing ECW skirmishes with a strong narrative element and an authentic period flavour.

I’m also roughing out some scenarios—treasure hunts, deserters, caught by surprise, recapture the witch, run in with witch finders, drunken/hysterical mobs, etc., and some slightly supernatural circumstances to contend with, too.

Any thoughts?!
Capt Fortier

Re: SP/ECW folk horror

Post by Capt Fortier »

You might want to think about using some of the fractious Puritan splinter religious groups who often had some extreme religious beliefs that spilled into radical politics too, and attributed some diabolical characteristics to their opponents (mostly linked to the Antichrist). Groups like the Fifth Monarchy Men, the Ranters, Grindletonians, the Levellers and Diggers could make for some colourful settings, and a nice seque to witch-hunting.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
LittleLaude

Post by LittleLaude »

Yes, absolutely.

One possible random circumstance might be that whatever force you thought you were fielding, your men have converted to some radical puritan sect or other, which would confer some advantage and some disadvantage—e.g. added zeal in hand-to-hand/distracted by frequent praying...
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

When I read the title, I was expecting the thread to be about......[shudder]......Morris Dancing!!!!!

(Thank you for not going there!)
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
LittleLaude

Post by LittleLaude »

Well, now you mention it...
black cavalier

Post by black cavalier »

I've certainly been there stood in this style of gaming for some time so would be very interested in seeing what you come up with, especially in adopting folk horror into a historical game.
LittleLaude

Post by LittleLaude »

Yes, ensuring the game remains true to its roots of being historically accurate us the aim. I want to reflect reality for people in the period, which could mean dicey encounters with mind altering substances and ‘real’ effects of witchcraft and sorcery. It’s easy to overlook the extent and significance of superstition and belief, and the dangers / temptations associated with food and drink that might offer pleasure and / or relief from harsh day to day life. Incorporating some of these as variables could be interesting, I reckon, in small narrative driven scenarios and campaigns.

I’ll certainly share as I start drafting stuff.
Simon

Post by Simon »

The film is mentioned above in the reference but you definitely need to watch this if going down this route!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Field_in_England

Simon
LittleLaude

Post by LittleLaude »

Thanks, Simon. Yes, seen it and loved it. It’s sort of the key inspiration for the project!!
custosarmorum

Post by custosarmorum »

Have you looked at Dashing Dice Games Witchfinder General rules? Here is the website: http://www.dashingdicegames.co.uk/index.html. They might provide some ideas and/or inspiration. This blog has some interesting games/ideas using the above rules: http://pijlieblog.blogspot.com/2013/11/ ... -lamb.html.

Sounds like a very interesting project!