More newbie doubts

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

dmborque

More newbie doubts

Post by dmborque » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi again!
After our latest game, some new doubts came up.

1. How do vehicles move and turn? Can they? Let's say I move a tank with 2D6, rolling 15". Can I rotate 45 degrees, move 10", rotate again (60 degrees), and move the remaining 5"? Is there any limit to how much/when can I rotate the vehicle while moving (apart from the 90 degrees on flat-out speed, as per 11.6.1)? Do wheeled/half-tracked/tracked vehicles have different limits?

2. Can a JL activate 1 section (using 1 IP) to move "At the Double", and after moving spend the remaining IP to rally the Shock point the section just acquired? I could not find anything in the rules against it, but sounds cheese...

3. On 8.2 the rulebook states thta smoke blocks LOS. But the FAQ states that smoke grenades do not completely block LOS, just apply a -1 to fire through it. Which one is right? Is this also true for smoke deployed by a mortar?

4. After attacking an armoured vehicle, it got the damage result "Halt and engage firer in next Phase". What does this mean? Must the controlling player assign 1 Command Die to this vehicle to attack the firer, even if he would prefer not to? Is it a free activation? And if he got no "3" Command die? Must he add three "1s" to make a "3" and activate the vehicle?

Thanks!

Archdukek

Re: More newbie doubts

Post by Archdukek » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:59 pm

Here's my answers to your questions:
1) when moving vehicles don't have to move straight forward but can follow a curving course so long as you don't exceed the limitations for the given speed. However, rotating on the spot uses up 1D6 of movement. So you could rotate 45 degrees, move 1 D6, then rotate 60 degrees but that is equivalent to moving flat out with 3D6. You can't do what you describe for 2 D6. All vehicles follow the same basic movement rules but untracked vehicles can't rotate on the spot.

2) Yes a JL can order a section to run then use his second CI to remove 1 point of Shock, it's not cheesy at all he's keeping his men under control. Just remember that when a section runs each Team will receive 1 point of Shock so he can only remove it from 1 team usually. Soviets are different since they are a single section so can run and remove the Shock.

3) Originally smoke grenades could block LOS but after player feedback Rich changed it as set out in the FAQ to a -1 on the hit dice. Mortar smoke is hotter and thicker and always blocks LOS completely.

4) Yes the armoured vehicle is obliged to attack the firer whether he wants to or not and you need to use the Command Dice to comply if you can. It is not a free activation, it's a penalty on your options that phase.

John

donglewwe

Post by donglewwe » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:27 pm

1. I house-ruled the use of a Stug by having the vehicle pay 1" per 15-deg of turn. Admittedly fiddly, and slowing things a bit (along with requiring a protractor, but us old model builders have plenty of unused tools lying about...) but in the case of the Stug (where facing is critical) it was a welcomed bit of navel-gazing.

The fact that the Stug was low on fuel and any "1" rolled for movement meant it was stationary was an added bonus to the tension! ; )

Seret

Post by Seret » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:30 pm

dmborque wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:38 pm
Hi again!
After our latest game, some new doubts came up.

1. How do vehicles move and turn? Can they? Let's say I move a tank with 2D6, rolling 15". Can I rotate 45 degrees, move 10", rotate again (60 degrees), and move the remaining 5"? Is there any limit to how much/when can I rotate the vehicle while moving (apart from the 90 degrees on flat-out speed, as per 11.6.1)? Do wheeled/half-tracked/tracked vehicles have different limits?
The only real limit is when you hit that 90º corner, which cuts your maximum speed. As long as you aren't turning on the spot you can make as many turns of less than 90º as you like without penalty. To be honest, most WW2 tanks couldn't really turn on the spot very well anyway.

The rules for wheeled vehicles aren't immediately obvious from the rules, but basically they get no free inches on their roll off-road. On roads they double their roll. Obviously they won't be doing neutral turns. Pretty sure I saw the VW do it in one of the Herbie movies, but that doesn't mean you can do it in your kubelwagen.

bob696

Post by bob696 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:06 pm

We have played this a bit liberally and read it as "Halt and engage firer in it's next Phase". So, next time it is activated it must fire even if it is 6 phases or whatever later. (not had a situation where the target was no longer viable but we will come up with something if it happens :lol: )

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:05 am

bob696 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:06 pm
We have played this a bit liberally and read it as "Halt and engage firer in it's next Phase". So, next time it is activated it must fire even if it is 6 phases or whatever later. (not had a situation where the target was no longer viable but we will come up with something if it happens :lol: )
Yes I believe that's how Rich played it in his game on youtube recently - if you want to activate that vehicle the next time you do it engages that target

dmborque

Post by dmborque » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:06 am

bob696 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:06 pm
Well, that is the exact case that happened to us. The AT attack was triggered as a CoC Ambush, and therefore the AT Team could be removed from the board at the end of the attack.
In that case (and any other where the attacker is no longer visible) I assume that the controllign player should spend 1 activation die to "do nothing" with the armoured vehicle.
Does that look right?

Thanks for all the answers!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:13 am

Good question.
You could play it as looking for a target and do nothing or

You could play it they shoot at the enemy nearest to the position of the troops that caused the reaction (but are no longer there.) After all you don't always spot the shooter especially from inside an AFV.

Seret

Post by Seret » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:59 pm

dmborque wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:06 am
In that case (and any other where the attacker is no longer visible) I assume that the controllign player should spend 1 activation die to "do nothing" with the armoured vehicle.
Does that look right?
I'd be inclined to have them brass up the spot the AT team fired from with a bit of "covering fire".

Munin

Post by Munin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Seret wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:59 pm
I'd be inclined to have them brass up the spot the AT team fired from with a bit of "covering fire".
Same.