Representing engineers?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

black cavalier

Representing engineers?

Post by black cavalier »

How do you represent the engineer teams like demo, wire & mine clearing, specifically in 15mm if you don't have actual engineer figures? I'd like to have at least 1 figure of in each team to indicate what kind of engineer team it is.

Demo figures would be pretty easy, just putty up a satchel charge. Mine clearing could be just guys prodding the ground with sticks, & tubes to represent wire clearing Bangalore torpedoes might work. But trying to scratch build wire cutters or metal detectors would be tough.

Any other easy ideas?

Thanks
Truscott Trotter

Re: Representing engineers?

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Actually I did both ..but in 28mm
I used a 15mm mortar stand as the wire cutters - bit of sniping and bending
the metal detector was a pole and a disc using a radio guy that had headphones
Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

A cut-down paperclip can represent a great many pieces of equipment depending on the figure pose! Bangalore torpedoes, light mortars, metal detectors, etc. I find spare artillery and heavy weapon crew figures really handy for the sorts of conversions you'd want to do, as they tend to have one or both hands free.
7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

At least in 20mm engineer figures seem to be available for most armies so I've obtained those.
Seret

Post by Seret »

The lazy mode option: do one figure of each type (demo, wire, mines, flame thrower) and then four additional generic "engineer" miniatures, plus a JL. That gives you enough miniatures to field up to a full engineering squad (ie: two engineering teams, plus JL), in the absolute minimum number of figures.
oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

Lazy Mode works for me (when it can be bothered getting up off the couch).
maerk

Post by maerk »

7dot62mm wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:42 am At least in 20mm engineer figures seem to be available for most armies so I've obtained those.
I have the british early war engineers from Zvezda, which are representing a mine clearing team. Are there manufacturers for british wire cutting and flame throwing engineers in 20mm?
Thanks for your help
Maerk
7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

maerk wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:00 pm
7dot62mm wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:42 am At least in 20mm engineer figures seem to be available for most armies so I've obtained those.
I have the british early war engineers from Zvezda, which are representing a mine clearing team. Are there manufacturers for british wire cutting and flame throwing engineers in 20mm?
Right, I think that'll depend on what kind of Brits we're talking about (BEF, 8th Army, Normandy 1944, Ardennes 1944). I'm unfortunately not an expert on what each period should look like but here's what I've found and/or obtained:

British Sapper Set (Wartime Miniatures LB09 )
BT50 Engineers with Flame-thrower and Demo Charges: (SHQ)
BT51 Engineers, Mine Clearing: (SHQ)
AB: Sappers/pioneers set
AB: British flamethrowers
Fatcat/combat Miniatures: BS-3 BRITISH ENGINEERING SQUAD
Lancashire Games: BRITISH ARMY ( 8TH ARMY) (Can also be used for Far East)
20/GB5 Engineers
Shell Hole Scenics: Engineers
2 man flamethrower team.
Man placing demolition pipe (Bangalore).
Man carrying demolition pipe.

The Matchbox Brits set contains guy with flamethrower, as does the Caesar late war set.
Airfix 8th army set contains guy with the Polish (?) mine detector.

I'm not sure if any of these sets contain guys with wire cutters but it is possible. You could of course use the bangalore-carrying fellows.
genew49

Post by genew49 »

All below are 20mm

Early War Miniatures carries Italian Engineers in sun helmets; a set of three men with mines (can easily be converted to carrying demolition charges) and a two man wiring party, one man carries wire cutter. They also have a Bangalore team in their German WW1 line but may not be worth he expense.
https://earlywarminiatures.com/product- ... e-figures/

AB:
"New American Engineers" include a flamethrower, 2 men with Bangalore torpedoes, 2 men with satchel charges and three infantrymen.
There is also a Mine Clearing set.

A British Sapper set and a British Flamethrower set for NWE

German Pioneer set with flame throwers, demo charges and mine clearers.
https://eurekaminusa.com/collections/wo ... ab-figures
maerk

Post by maerk »

Thanks guys! I am about to assemble a NWE 44-45 british platoon and for starters I have added as the most essential support options: entrenchments, minefield, PIAT team, 2" mortar team, universal carrier. Not sure about the importance of the engineer teams or should I go for the infantry section from list 4?

Maerk