Any one

Post by Rusty » Sun May 12, 2019 11:02 am

Any play Australians
Either North Africa, Pasfic
What list do you use and how do they play

Trailape

Re: Any one

Post by Trailape » Sun May 12, 2019 11:44 am

I’ve played using Aussies in both Pacific and North Africa TOS.
They play as good as any platoon.
Play to their strengths, good Command and Control with the two Snr Leaders. The 2 inch mortar is a real asset.
Ultimately however it comes down to the player,...
The list for Nth Africa / Western Desert is no different from the British list:
1 platoon Commander SL
1 platoon Sgt Snr Ldr with SMG
2 inch mortar with 2 crew
Boys ATR with 2 crew

3 x sections each of:
1 Jnr Ldr with SMG
1 Bren LMG with 3 crew (team)
6 riflemen (team)
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Agreed...I have a two platoons for my ANZAC force in N. Africa with the same organization. I plan on doing a Punjab squad for buy on the support list for them. Yes, they all share the same platoon organisation even with the Commonwealth forces.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sun May 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Apart from aggressive what other characteristics would you have for em?

Be nice to have something that was different than the Brit ones.

Would you have differentones for NA Vs FE ?

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Tue May 14, 2019 11:30 am

So list no different to Brits must be something different

MLB

Post by MLB » Tue May 14, 2019 11:46 am

Have you seen the Malaya 1942 campaign? Australians have some variation on SMG use, they are also stubborn in close combat. You can follow some AARs to see how they play here http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/ ... r.html?m=1
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey » Wed May 15, 2019 1:50 am

G'day Rusty,
Below is the platoon list I use for Australian forces up to approximately early 1943. During this period, Australian force were organised and trained along British doctrinal lines for the most part. We tended to view the M1 Thompson SMG more as an assault weapon and so didn't necessarily allocate it to the Section CPL. Other than that, we pretty much followed Britain's lead at this stage.
Starting in 1943, Australia switched its focus to jungle warfare and combatting the Japanese. This lead to a domestically developed doctrine focussed on jungle fighting. While the Section and Platoon organisation didn't change that much in terms of troops, the number of SMG was increased to 2 or even 3 and very different tactics were employed. Things such as scouting, contact drills, close assault techniques and the like were all developed in great detail.
I hope the below adaption is of some use.

AUTRALIAN RIFLE PLATOON (1940 - 1942)

Rifle Platoon: 36 personnel
Ratings: Regular +0, Command Dice 5 or Green -3, Command Dice 5

PHQ (2): LT (SL) Pistol/SMG, SGT (SL) Rifle, Light Mortar Team: 2” Mortar + 2 crew, ATR Team: Boys ATR + 2 crew

3 x Rifle Section (10): CPL (JL) Rifle,
LMG Team: 3 personnel 1 x BREN LMG + 3 crew,
Rifle Team: 6 personnel 1 x Thompson SMG, 5 x Rifles
NOTE: The Corporal can swap his rifle for the Section SMG if desired.

SPECIAL RULES:
Stubborn Troops: When these troops are in close combat they ignore any “Shock” inflicted during the combat. They do not ignore any “Shock” inflicted prior to the combat. [NOTE: NA for defence of Singapore where morale was crumbling]

The Thompson Gunner: The hard hitting Thompson SMG was allocated as a Section assault weapon, not a personal defence weapon. It was often issued to a determined and aggressive soldier to get the most out of it. When a soldier (not any type of leader) uses this SMG, they can re-roll up to half of their Firepower dice for the attack.

Five Rounds Rapid: Australia followed British musketry practice and many of the initial volunteers were experienced shooters. A leader attached to the Rifle Team that spends two or more Command Initiatives to activate the team can add that many D6 to the Team’s firing dice. [NOTE: NA for Militia units, where such training was often lacking]

Concentrated Fire: The accuracy of the BREN allowed its fire to be used to annihilate point targets. A leader attached to the LMG Team that spends two or more Command Initiatives to activate the team allows the team to allocate their fire against one enemy team, even if other teams are within 4”. [NOTE: NA for Militia units, where such training was often lacking]

Cheers,
Len

Rusty

Post by Rusty » Fri May 17, 2019 7:15 am

Thanks Len

Australian s must have special rules as been fighting in North Africa
Give it a try

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri May 17, 2019 7:30 am

The.problem is not.special.rules as such its making.them different to the Brit ones.

Late war I would give them a jungle fighting trait but then so would the Brit 14th army in Burma.

Perhaps a bushcraft trait giving them better ambush ability or better navigation?.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:20 am

Don't let the officer have the compass!