Do any Pint-Sized Campaigns contain lists with STG44s?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

QuantumAsh

Do any Pint-Sized Campaigns contain lists with STG44s?

Post by QuantumAsh » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:36 am

Hi everyone

I'm a brand new player - rules arrived yesterday. I've been tempted by watching the demo games on Beasts of War.

Previously I have enjoyed Bolt Action and I have a selection of German infantry models equipped with Assualt Rifles \ Stg 44s, some of which I'd like to reuse. I note that the basic CoC rules do not contain Squads or Support options armed with these, but it occurred to me that some of the Pint Sized Campaigns may do. Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so, which ones?

Many thanks

QuantumAsh

PS I have seen some other forum posts suggesting substituting SMGs for Stg44s, and various VolksGrenadier lists, but I'm getting lazy in my old age and I'm happy to buy cool supplements for something official.

Dbsubashi

Re: Do any Pint-Sized Campaigns contain lists with STG44s?

Post by Dbsubashi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:53 am

Bloody Bucket has the Assault Platoon for the Germans. 2 squads all with assault rifles, and a third squad with 2 LMG’s.

QuantumAsh

Post by QuantumAsh » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:00 am

Ah-hah. All with assualt rifles? From famine to feast. I'll make sure to check it out.

Thanks for the swift reply too. It's all very exciting getting a new set of wargame rules, so much to explore and chew over :O)

Cheers.

QAsh

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Simplest solution is to just treat the figures with STg44s as ordinary riflemen. They weren't as widely distributed as Bolt Action list building encourages.

However, if you do want to use a few for a Late War platoon and your opponent is content, then subtituting a couple of STG44s for rifles in the 3 squads of a platoon would increase its Force Rating by +1.

(Basically using the ratings in the CoCulator an Assault Rifle costs 2 points compared to a standard rifle cost of 1. For every increase of 6 points the Force Rating of the platoon increases by 1. The precise effect depends on what the points value of the core platoon you are amending is.)

John

QuantumAsh

Post by QuantumAsh » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:52 pm

> However, if you do want to use a few for a Late War platoon and your opponent is content, then subtituting a couple of STG44s for rifles in the 3 squads of a platoon would increase its Force Rating by +1.

That's a pretty easy calculation, preferable to proxying in my mind. I like WYSIWYG in WWII as the miniatures can be difficult to see clearly sometimes.

Which reminds me of the worst proxies I ever saw on the battlefield. You'll need to be familiar with 40K to appreciate the tasteless horror of this, but an opponent turned his 3x Rhino APCs into Vindicator tanks by blu-tacking onto the front the green lids from bottles of 7UP.

andysyk

Post by andysyk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:12 am

STG44s/MP44s were generally issued to Volksgrenadier Divisions, not for the most part good quality troops. Some found there way into Fallschirmjager and SS PzGrenadier units during the Bulge but on a very limited issue. Later they were issued to SkiJager (one unit at least being fully equipped so)and very late PzGrenadier KSTN had them -the extent to which this was implemented is probably very low.

Standard Infantry and PzGrenadiers never really used them and even the FJ apart from the units in the Bulge never saw them. Introducing them into units that generally used full 7.92mm and 9mmP cartridges was not considered because it added another ammunition calibre to the supply chain.

The VG Divisions were designed to fully utilise the weapon but many of these did not receive their full quota and their was also a shortage of magazines and ancillary equipment.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:18 pm

I would use the Volksgrenadier list from BB as the Sturm plt
This gives you 14 men and 2 NCO's with assault rifles
They are green troops but with 5 command dice - representing the veteran NCo's and officers
it also gives you 3 grenades launchers and 9 panzerfausts :lol:
All for a plt rating of zero!

EDIT: K.St.N.131V (01/11/1944) has the full complement of Assault rifles but as Andysk said most of the did not receive enough so the firebase section usually ended up with rifles and LMG

moortz

Post by moortz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:45 pm

QuantumAsh wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:52 pm
an opponent turned his 3x Rhino APCs into Vindicator tanks by blu-tacking onto the front the green lids from bottles of 7UP.
I bet thats not a million miles away from how Vinidcators were modelled in the first place :lol:

QuantumAsh

Post by QuantumAsh » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Or the Sturmtiger.... I've wanted a reason to buy one of those for a long time. They don't really look 'real'.

Andsyk - I appreciate the history info btw, very interesting. It makes me realise I've never read a good book describing the 1944-45 period from the Axis perspective. All too easy to concentrate on the Allies' perspective.

andysyk

Post by andysyk » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:51 pm

I would use

Grenadierkompanie

K.St.N.131V (1.9.1944)

available here: http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/

The later KSTN that TT referenced may never have been implemented, it was a revision of the above IIRC most of the VG Divisions used the above KSTN. They were formed before the later KSTN. The main difference was the Gruppe/Squad size. I believe manpower totals were almost identical.

There is I believe a version?earlier draft of the above KSTN that lists MP40 and has a 9mm ammunition scale that has caused confusion in researchers as to which KSTN was used by the VG but the vote now seems to be with the above.