Early British Platoon Video

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Arlequín

Early British Platoon Video

Post by Arlequín » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:23 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QOSf6aN3H2Y

I'd not seen this before. Everything you wanted to know about British infantry platoons, but were afraid to ask. Thanks to Andysyk for a link to another video which led me to it.

Judging by Thompsons with drums and gas masks at the ready, this was filmed Post-Dunkirk, possibly as late as Spring 1941.

gebhk

Re: Early British Platoon Video

Post by gebhk » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:23 pm

Thank you! Fabulous - with the first part on organisation being particularly interesting.

Love the way those three cod Germans sit with their Mg (? Schwartzlose?) in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason waiting to be slaughtered :o .

Bestest
K

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:30 pm

... and with their backpacks on. There should have been another five guys with them, were they fetching coffee and croissants?

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Hilarious - what is the use of carrying a pencil and pad if you do not also carry a pencil sharpener - that plt leader should be up on a charge! :D

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:32 pm

Penknife old chap.

I spotted a fifth columnist in No. 1 Section "I am a fire de gun, I am a carry de gun", dead giveaway that.

Joking apart, it was poignant watching it given it's Armistice Day here tomorrow. None of those guys are probably still with us.

Iorwerth

Post by Iorwerth » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:43 am

Good video. We need to add a servant and bicyclist runner to the British Platoons. Not so concerned about the runner, but going into battle without one's servant is just asking for trouble!

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:38 am

The Pre-Dunkirk platoons that had WO 3's in charge didn't have servants on their strength.

We don't include them, yet that one fought and was sent off after the action was over. Likewise we ignore that the idea of a ten-man section was to have eight for actual battle. It was the same for the Americans, but their target was nine.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:44 am

Iorwerth wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:43 am
Good video. We need to add a servant and bicyclist runner to the British Platoons. Not so concerned about the runner, but going into battle without one's servant is just asking for trouble!
Same cost as a Medic but comes equipped with a unending supply of tea and a hip flask of whisky. 😊
John

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:48 am

Arlequín wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:38 am
The Pre-Dunkirk platoons that had WO 3's in charge didn't have servants on their strength.

We don't include them, yet that one fought and was sent off after the action was over. Likewise we ignore that the idea of a ten-man section was to have eight for actual battle. It was the same for the Americans, but their target was nine.
That practice is reflected in IABSM were sections are at typical combat strength, but Rich deliberately choose to use full strength sections for CoC. Easy enough to make the switch though if you wanted. Dropping 2 riflemen per section would reduce the Force Rating by -1.

John

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:19 pm

-1 Force Rating versus losing 6 FP dice?! Screw reality! You can have those riflemen when you pry them from my cold dead hands. ;)