Post by Tom Ballou »

Thanks
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

Mattias

Re: Achtung! (Summer special 2017) Mini-campaign questions

Post by Mattias »

Great information in this thread. And a great start on those bunkers! :-)
Another question: does the MG08 machine guns count as 10D6 heavy machine guns or something else?
/Mattias

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

It appears to be a tripod MMG to me.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG_08
So ROF 10

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

I had planned on rating it as a ROF 10. I also liked the sniper clarification vs Bunkers.

I have just finished painting all the Huns and all their support options. I'm going to limit them to 8 points of minefields (that would make a continuous belt across the table. My fear would be the Germans would take 16 point and make a double belt. That would be a very tough nut to crack.

I'll post up some photos when they are ready.

Entrenchments, have stalled, I had a family emergency and had to fly off to DC for a few days. I brought the Germans with, but I could not make any progress with terrain.
--Tom

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

Making the snow mat:

First adding the snowless patches with brown caulk.

Then added the snow fields with white caulk and snow flakes.

Dry brushing in the grass before adding the static grass.

After adding the static grass, but before the final snow pass.

The Bunkers and Mat after static grass and snow paste.

The final effect!

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the result
--Tom

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

The 15mm Huns

With all options (including Richards suggestion of a third squad)

Mix of FoW and PPs
--Tom

Mattias

Post by Mattias »

That is beautiful!
I'm also interested in gaming Hurtgenwald so its great to see your version of it.
Regarding the mini campaign I was a bit surprised with Rich suggesting a third squad as a support option. I liked the idea of the Germans being understrength. To me a third squad then seems like a given pick. I'd probably try to play the Germans without the third squad and see how it plays.
/Mattias

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

Well my Achtung! project went off (just barely) in time for HAVOC.

The German works, bunkers and entrenchments (pregame test fit)
Another view

We managed to get two rounds in, and a patrol phase. Which is great considering we had all new players.

The patrol phase went off well with the Americans pushing towards their right and the German communication trenches.

You can see how close the American's JoP is to the entrenchments.

Post patrol the Germans bought their options 8 mine fields, the MMG, and extra squad and the medic.

The Americans bought 2 Engineering sections (with 4 minesweeping teams) with JLs and a FO with an 81mm mortar on call.

The Americans laid smoke in front of the bunker and pressed their engineers forward to clear the minefields to the right. The Germans not having bought any wire, then allowed the Americans to ensure they had the right teams to get the job done.

In short order the mine fields where cleared and the Americans where in the trenches. But so where the Germans. A fight broke out in the smoke with the Germans getting the better of it. It dawned on the Americans that they could get to the bunker but had no tools to crack it. So with the breach made they pulled back to reinforce.

In the second round, the American's bought a pre-game barrage, an engineering section with demo teams and JL and a Sherman in support.

With the right flank open the Americans rushed forward after the barrage, to grab the trenches early. The pinned Germans unable to deploy only just managed to get a squad into the bunker before the Americans rushed forward and shut down the JoP in it.

The Americans swarmed the Bunker, the Demo Teams readied to set the shaped changes...
Demo teams on the bunker (note I didn't have time to finish the bases of the Americans)

Then the Germans woke up. The far bunker raked the teams with fire, killing a couple of engineers and wounding the JL. They they deployed their MMG in the middle of the entrenchments and sprayed more fire into teams, adding more shock, and killing the JL. Things looked grim...

view from the entrenchments

Till the lucky bastard rolled a double phase. :lol: The platoon Sargent had advanced with engineers and the security squad, but had not climbed on the roof of the bunker. He used two CL to activate each engineering team to start deploying the shaped charges (it required two activation to complete the task) and one to remove shock from the more shot up team, then on the following turn, he did it again and threw a smoke grenade to give them some cover. Note: I ruled incorrectly on this, the platoon Sargent, would need to attach to the teams to rally, since they where in LOS of the Germans. So he would have need to use one CL to move and attach, and then would be at risk of getting hosed by the Hun.

But all was not over, the Engineers still had to run out the reels (get >= 9" away) before detonating the charges. The far bunker fired, and killed another engineer, and did a point of shock, but the teams where not pinned yet. The Germans could finish them off, with the MMG, but they didn't roll a one. So they brought on their SL, and fired 13 dice for no effect!

The Americans then went, the Sherman fired in support at the MMG team and knocked the SL out, the Platoon Sargent used two CLs to rally shock and gave the section a run away order, they promptly scurried away and set readied their plungers. But the security team did not more out of range. The engineers could not blow the charges.

The Germans where in trouble, the SL out, the Medic nowhere to be found (would not deploy due to the Barrage). So they decided to bail out of the bunker having been informed that the American engineers had been lingering on the roof for a while.

It required 1 die to move through a door and the bunker had two doors. So best they could do was move between the doors.

On the following turn the bunker blew, but the 5 Germans (JL, MG team, and two extra rifle men) where safe behind an armored door, and trapped at the same time. The Americans where moving a bazooka up to blow the outer door. The Germans could move back into the bunker. But any American who got on the roof could drop grenades into the bunker, or they could get blasted by the bazooka!

Good times!~

We had to call the game there, but it was a fun game, and all enjoyed it. The Americans got very luck multiple times, it could have gone another way.
Last edited by Tom Ballou on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Tom

Munin

Post by Munin »

Sounds like a great pair of games!