All Enlisted For Drink - A Sharp Practice Weekend, Jan 27-28

For gamers putting on TooFatLardies games at Shows and Conventions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Captain Reid

All Enlisted For Drink - A Sharp Practice Weekend, Jan 27-28

Post by Captain Reid »

To be held at Bristol Independent Gaming on the weekend of the 27th/28th January 2018.

EDIT: One spot has become available in each session for a French player.

Map here.

Facebook event page here. If you're not on Facebook then feel free to PM me on this site and we can go from there.

I intend to follow broadly the same format as the successful Is This the Way to Amarillo?, my recent event at the same location but would really like to expand the scope and attract more players both fresh and seasoned.

This will be themed as a Napoleonic Peninsular War setting. However if anyone wants to attend but to play a different part of the wars, or even a different Sharp Practice era, so long as you're prepared to supply a scenario or two, painted forces and perhaps at least the basic necessary terrain (B.I.G. has a fair stock of various terrain to supplement tables), there'd be scope for that I'm sure. You could umpire or play and run the game as you pleased. I can also supply a number of forces for anyone lacking period-specific 28mm miniatures who wishes to attend.

There's no need to commit to both days, chose any or all of the sessions as may be convenient to you. The cost is £4 per day (whether you play just one game on that day or both).

Rich Clarke has very kindly agreed to attend (after I mentioned cooking lager and curry), and he'll be running games and joining us for some curry and beer on the Saturday night.

I will happily expand the available places, but would need another experienced player to offer to run games, and perhaps to supply some terrain, to do that. As stated above, we're now at the stage where it needs another umpire (or at least a player happy to both play and keep everyone straight on the rules) to expand.

This is not quite a typical Lardy games day as I have known them, but it has the ethos in spades.
Last edited by Captain Reid on Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.
Archdukek

Re: All Enlisted For Drink - A Sharp Practice Weekend, Jan 2

Post by Archdukek »

Sounds like a load of fun, but a bit too far to reach from Scotland. Good luck with the event.

John
Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

I hope to manage Deep Fried Lard next year, John.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Captain Reid wrote:I hope to manage Deep Fried Lard next year, John.
That would be excellent David and it would be nice to meet you then.
Wee Derek never lets me play or run Sharp Practice at Deep Fried Lard. :roll:
He always persuades me to either demo other new rules, like General D'Armee this year, or run the older sets like KMH or Bag the Hun which can soak up excess numbers. Not that I mind really. ;)

John
sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

Captain, Archduke, if we ever manage to arrange a Lard event in South Yorkshire sometime next year, any chance we can persuade you to join us (maybe even put on a game?)

Sorry for hijacking the thread - though Bristol is ‘do-able’ from Barnsley, I know work is getting in the way that weekend :-(
Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Simon, I can, work permitting (sooner I know a firm date the better). But the Sheffield city centre location touted is the practical one for me.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Simon,
It's also a possibility for me depending on dates. I have relatives in County Durham whom we visit regularly and if I can combine it with a visit to them I would certainly be up for it.

South Yorkshire is about the limit of my range though. First time I ever went to Sheffield to a wargames show some 40 odd years ago the natives in Burger King had great difficulty working out what I wanted to eat. My efforts to enunciate "a burger and orange juice" more clearly with my Glasgow burr just added to the confusion as the poor girl thought I was growling at her. Fortunately hand signals worked in the end! :-)

John
oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

Archdukek wrote:Sounds like a load of fun, but a bit too far to reach from Scotland.
That's only 388 miles! That's a fairly cushy day trip here in Oz, and over half of the participants at MOAB traveled a whole lot further.

;) :roll: :lol:
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

oozeboss wrote:
Archdukek wrote:Sounds like a load of fun, but a bit too far to reach from Scotland.
That's only 388 miles! That's a fairly cushy day trip here in Oz, and over half of the participants at MOAB traveled a whole lot further.
Yeah, but in Oz apart from the odd kangaroo and Megatruck you don't have any other traffic on the road! :D :lol:
Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

As of today (Sunday 22nd October), we're basically full.

With more than a dozen people expressing interest but as yet unable to commit, I'll be happy to add names to a 'reserves' list.

I'd also be very pleased to expand the total numbers, but that will necessarily be contingent on at least one experienced player being willing to run games on one or both days (and possibly to supply some terrain too).

Thank you to everyone who has signed up so far.