Would you play with unpainted figs?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

sespe

Would you play with unpainted figs?

Post by sespe » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:39 am

oh, such a dilemma,

I have always played "skirmish level" games, CoC was the largest (in terms of models) I have played. Painting is fun, but tedious and hard for me.

Then along came announcements of SP2. CoC-style mechanics, my favorite time period, what not to love? I bought a couple boxes of Perry figures to build out enough units for the AWI.

But life intervened, and most of those Perry units sit in their basic primer coat, bereft of unit colors. I have enough for about 50% painted, 50% primed for each side.

I have the perfect scenario to start

I have the terrain

I have the rules (and can fudge up chips and status markers until they arrive).

On the scale of 1+Painting is my life / 10=little counters work as good as figures, I rate a 4.

Would you play with what you have, or finish painting first?

John Thomas8

Re: Would you play with unpainted figs?

Post by John Thomas8 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:26 am

Never for public consumption, either in a game store/convention nor pics posted to the web anywhere.

Me goofing around in the game space testing scenarios? Probably.

LeadButterfly

Post by LeadButterfly » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:49 am

Life is too short, enjoy yourself.

If your enjoyment comes from painted figures, wait, if you also enjoy throwing dice around with your mates, have at it primed. I make no judgement.

Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:12 am

Greetings

I might play a solo game with part painted figures but for games with anyone else i have to have them painted - final details may not be on etc but coat, trousers, hat, flesh, weapons, belts and main equipment have to be in place.

This is partly because I don't much like painting and so only an upcoming game energises me - last weekend's game I ran in 10mm (one stand per platoon) needed another battalion of panzer grenadiers to scenario to work so I spent Saturday finishing them off.

Regards

Edward

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:23 am

It's self regulating - Unpainted figures are unlucky.
You can play with unpainted figs but the longer you do the more the dice gods will frown upon you.

Derek H

Post by Derek H » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:42 am

Unpainted figures? Only for games between consenting adults in private. No pictures. And not very often.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:47 am

Never!

Full stop, end of story!

I'd rather use painted proxies.

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:14 am

As I get older, and free time rarer, my opinion has changed - we all love to have well painted figures admired by others but surely we're gamers first and painters second? So PLAY!

Because we all spend too much time planning games, talking about playing games, forcing ourselves to paint figures in order to play games but never actually getting round to playing games, don't we?

And actually playing some games, and having fun with the toys is the best incentive you can have to get them painted, Group by Group,

And if someone turns up their nose at the idea of playing with unpainted figures, find someone else to play with - life is just too short :-)

aktr

Post by aktr » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:21 am

When I game quite often there are unpainted figures on the table

We are just getting started with SP2 (in AWI) if I wait for him to have a fully painted army then we wouldn't get our first game in until next Christmas

Rich H

Post by Rich H » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:49 am

I keep looking at smaller scales, I used to like 28mm, then it was 20mm not i's 15mm. They get faster to paint... can't wait until I get to 2mm.

Sadly I like 1:1 games so I'm unlikely to get beyond 10mm.