PTO Here we go!

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Richard
Site Admin

Re: PTO Here we go!

Post by Richard »

Bloody Hell! That puts a different spin on things! The squad was three rifle teams of three men and an LMG Team of four men! Thanks Emilio, that is bloody brilliant!

Any comments from anyone?

Rich

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Studying Emilio's photos, the LMG team of four men are not carrying any rifles. I know this is an artists illustration, but that makes their LMG a truck crock of shit. Four blokes, 5D6 firing. Yuk!

Mind you, it is compensated for by the three rifle teams. That is actually a nice balance for fire and movement, two down one moving, plus a base of fire.

Monty - The Platoon Sergeant is actually listed as a "Liaison NCO". Whatever that is!

Type A infantry companies which had an integral heavy weapons platoon are listed as having four grenade dischargers. Those without have three. That presents another question: when do we use which?

If we are going down that route, that should affect what support is available. My thoughts are that we make three GDs standard and allow a fourth as a support option.

Rich

Rich

Emilio

Post by Emilio »

Plus the squad leader, a total of 14.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Emilio

Thanks very much indeed for that. That was a timely interjection! I am chuffed to bits with that information.

Rich

Emilio

Post by Emilio »

The japanese used a lot of personel. Look at the crew for the 70mm howitzer!! And the heavy MG.

I think that A organization was used when they were in the offensive, but changed to B when they begun tho loose men and need to defend their gains.

You are welcome Rich!! :D :D :D

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd »

Richard wrote:Bloody Hell! That puts a different spin on things! The squad was three rifle teams of three men and an LMG Team of four men! Thanks Emilio, that is bloody brilliant!

Any comments from anyone?

Rich
Emilio's org would certainly support the Japanese tactics of advance until resistance is met then leave a fire base and try to out flank. They would do this from large company structures all the way down to teams

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Neil

They would. That is a real joy to see. All of a sudden everything falls into place!

I am very excited about this! I may have to do a small dance...

Rich

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd »

Richard wrote:Studying Emilio's photos,

If we are going down that route, that should affect what support is available. My thoughts are that we make three GDs standard and allow a fourth as a support option.

Rich

Rich
If you do the support option for the fourth GD as opposed to a different org it should be allowed to join the GD squad and be activated by the JL giving eight dice. Alternately you do it like some of the other lists were there is the standard force but if you up grade to type A the cost goes up.

Also in the earlier parts of the war there should be options for some Elite Japanese orgs, that said please don't fall into the trap of some other game systems that make all the SNLF or even the Japanese paratroops elite (veteran. Some of these orgs may be elite but others performed very poorly.

Cheers Neil

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

Hi Neil

At the moment I am focussing on the vanilla infantry lists for freebie downloads. The more exotic stuff will come along later.

I totally agree about the additional GD joining that squad.

Rich

Emilio

Post by Emilio »

If you can take a look at Osprey Battle orders series, there are a couple of books by Gordon Rotman with TOEs and tables, that can put light on several issues. Curiously, he says that the LMG squad was 13 men. Take a man from the LMG group and you get the three rifle groups. The LMG crew probably carried rifles too, Rich. I´ll put the group as a LMG with 3 crew plus a riflemen.