Russian mortar battery and FO?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Fuzzy

Russian mortar battery and FO?

Post by Fuzzy »

Excuse my historical ignorance, I have not read a lot about the eastern front but why is there no mortar battery or FO in the Russian supports? Did they not have mortar batteries and observers?

Cheers
Fuzzy
Truscott Trotter

Re: Russian mortar battery and FO?

Post by Truscott Trotter »

No, apparently they are all concentrated at Battalion or Regimental (or higher) level for massed pre planned bombardments
This may prove illuminating
http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ontheway/
Seret

Post by Seret »

Even some of the smaller units that did have their own 82mm mortars didn't have observers and fire controllers for them. They used them for direct fire!
Rich H

Post by Rich H »

Prelim bombardment at this scale then?
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

I had read that the Soviets had tons of artillery and could really plaster an area before an attack but the "pre game barrage" support option in no way can match the effect of an in game mortar barrage.

Cheers
Fuzzy
Seret

Post by Seret »

Russians do get an especially fierce prep bombardment. I guess the trick is to make sure you capitalise on it and get the pressure on early before the enemy recover.
Fuzzy

Post by Fuzzy »

Well based on that article Truscott I would certainly allow the mortar battery support option with FO for Russians. It did strike me as a strange omission to their support lists.
I will continue to soldier on with my soviets but maybe it's something to consider for an errata or later edition.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Fuzzy also an interesting read is On the Roads to War - - author ended up in a Cavalry unit but trained as and started ff as an Artilleryman and mortar commander
Seret

Post by Seret »

Fuzzy wrote:Well based on that article Truscott I would certainly allow the mortar battery support option with FO for Russians.
I think the main point that article stresses is that the Russians used their mortars differently. They're available as massed fire to battalion and higher formations. They're more like mini artillery battery than a support weapon available in platoon sized games. Maybe allow FOOs and on-table use for games of Big CoC, and give them a bigger barrage zone?
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I think Seret's point is well made. It is not that the Russians didn't have mortars, it is that their tactical approach was different in the way they were used and that's reflected in the rules.
I think the option of allowing them in Big COC games makes more sense.

All this recent talk of Soviets has me sticking a PSC box of infantry together to join the paint queue and building 1/72 scale armour for the Eastern Front. I must be mad I have more than enough stuff in 28mm for NW Europe that I need to paint.
I blame TT and Rich H. :roll:

John