Deployment vs ambush

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Waterhorse

Re: Deployment vs ambush

Post by Waterhorse »

I often remove barbarian APs during the game (not in the scouting phase). What would you do then?
Like I said, I think its entirely up to the player to move the units from that location. Other wise is just a case of use it or lose it! However, that relies on them being honest about what's supposed to be there. "Oh no that was just a bluff! I never intended anything to Ambush from there!"

It's just a childish game of "I've thought of a number".
Perhaps restricting Ambush to fanatics, cavalry and skirmish troops might be an alternative solution for you.
Well that's an interesting suggestion in itself but really its not solely about Ambush for me. Although, the fact that you can currently bring your entire force out of a high standing terrain AP, while the Romans just stand there and look at you is pretty ridiculous.

Its far more about the ability for unlimited Deployment from any point designated and the fact the Barbarians can just plonk down anything they like, well over half way across the table, and pretend that it was their intent that these Groups were there from the outset.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Waterhorse wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:00 pm

Its far more about the ability for unlimited Deployment from any point designated and the fact the Barbarians can just plonk down anything they like, well over half way across the table, and pretend that it was their intent that these Groups were there from the outset.
That principle is integral to CoC, SP and Infamy!. It's kind of Lardy DNA.

I grant you that in CoC both sides have the capability to deploy from any JoP, in SP you're usually limited to either a primary or a secondary, but a movable DP gives one side much greater options, as in Infamy!. Infamy! is more asymmetric, certainly. And yet I don't feel myself that Deployment options hamper the Romans so much as some of the scenario demands do.

But then i think if you're attacking as Romans, dealing with Barbarian APs is the greater part of your 'strategic planning'.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Firstly, Seasons Greetings ! 🥃
That principle is integral to CoC, SP and Infamy!. It's kind of Lardy DNA.
Yes that's a given but I never see as a problem in CoC, it feels on a more controlled basis and both sides often have equal access to Deployment (Jump Off) points, or at least only a superiority of one. Besides you can not instantly pour a whole bunch of units out of any JP in the way you can a DP.

I also I take the point that Infamy is asymmetric, its portraying asymmetric warfare, so why not. However, even in asymmetric conflicts of our own age the "insurgents" don't get there planning right every time. The Barbarians can come pretty close to it by not having to commit forces to a specific DP at the start of the game and having the chance to change their mind at any time.
And yet I don't feel myself that Deployment options hamper the Romans so much as some of the scenario demands do.
I agree about scenario demands, some border on the ridiculous, or can become so within the terrain generation. Which I would again refer to, in terms of the possibility of it altering players views. Its possible that I have been on the end of some unfortunate localities more than other players. I have been "hampered" on good number of occasions by the combination of three or four DPs at just outside the permitted placement distance from my area and Barbarian cards coming up first ensuring they were deployed and waiting before the very first Tempus Fugit appeared.

Yes, its all part of the game and its randomness but the fun in it is very limited, when you have had three or more games like it on the bounce, where you may as well just have lined troops up nine inches apart on a bare table.
But then i think if you're attacking as Romans, dealing with Barbarian APs is the greater part of your 'strategic planning
'.

Yes that's true and as I've said a couple of times I don't have a problem with APs. In fact for my money if the game had nothing but APs I would find it less irritating. At least they feel more like the asymmetrical. Having a ring of DPs boxing you into a zone on the table edge, before you can act, doesn't!

Munin

Post by Munin »

An easy change that might go a long way towards mitigating the issue you're seeing is to treat Ambush or Deployment Points as Rallying Points for the purposes of Force Morale - meaning that if the Romans can remove one from the table, the Barbarian forces take a Force Morale test. That would encourage the Barbarian player to be more circumspect in their placement of Ambush/Deployment Points so as not to give the Romans a free whack at their morale.