How are you choosing your Forces?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Waterhorse

How are you choosing your Forces?

Post by Waterhorse »

Just a general inquiry to see what people are up to when it comes to putting little men on the table.

Are you:

(1) Just using the samples from the Force Lists section of the rules.

(2) Using the sample Force Lists and adding 25/35/45 points on the D6 roll, as per Page 30

(3) Playing with your own choice of 100 points

(4) Your own choice of 100 points and adding 25/35/45 points on the D6 roll, as per Page 30

We have been using (1) and are moving to (2) but we may end up with (4) as I'm thinking that there are a number of Early Empire Roman options that are unlikely to see game time otherwise.

Captain Reid

Re: How are you choosing your Forces?

Post by Captain Reid »

I've drawn up my own force lists for Western Britons vs Romans for the fighting in what is now Wales. They range from 110-125 points (these are generally similar to the book lists but more cohesive for the Romans and with some slightly different options for each side in terms of troop types) and adding support as per the dice roll.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

Method 2...

Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Also method 2 - all my fighting so far has been in Aquitania - Captain, I'd be interested in your western British lists

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Paul H wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:28 pm
Also method 2 - all my fighting so far has been in Aquitania - Captain, I'd be interested in your western British lists
They (and rules for terrain/weather for Western Britannia plus a bit of other related stuff) will be in the Lard Annual, I am led to believe.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd »

Method 2 however when attacking I often choose less than the dice roll amount depending on what I expect my opponent to be bringing. They always seem to choose as much as they can when they attack.

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

rules for terrain/weather for Western Britannia

So that will be mostly hilly and wet then! :lol:

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Cavalry mad fool that I am, I'm just working my opponents into accepting lists that will actually allow me to field Alea, rather than Auxiliary Horse! Far better value, for just one more point.

OMG! I'm starting to sound like a WRG rules player, from way back when!

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

The only evidence for ala being better than cohors equitata cavalry are the rates of pay (and that may possibly be down to the ala trooper having higher expenses than his cohors contemporary, or very possibly him just tending to come from higher strata of his society) and a speech where a unit of equitata are paid a kind of backhanded compliment, the gist of which is that an ala found it much easier to drill together than mounted members of a equitata who were usually split into penny packets. However, that's at a unit level - at the level of a turma (which is perhaps what two Groups of cavalry on the table might represent at 2:1 figure:man) it's not at all clear to me that such a distinction would necessarily exist, especially in the case of (say) the Batavians, who were noted horsemen (cases could also be made for other groupings who didn't directly supply men for the alae).

While there's no reason why the standard view that ala was better than cohors could not be true at all times and at all levels within a unit, I don't think it's anywhere near cut and dried - in fact torn and damp would be closer to it.

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Evidence wise that's a good point.

I guess the counter (non evidenced) would be that it makes a certain sense to have Ala trained to a different standard if they were predominantly used as "Battle Cavalry" where the Cohors chaps were used more as boarder guards and Para Military Police. The key thing here, as you mention, being the ability to operate smoothly in larger formations. Although I'm sure there were occasions where more than one turma acted together in an equitata having said that.

Of course the number of turma in use at anyone time could vary but lets be honest, even looking at equitata milliaria v Ala quingenaria we are talking about, what? 8 v 16, rising to 24 for Ala milliara ? When you have double or treble the men manoeuvring together it was probably an advantage to have riders who were used to it. At the Cohors equitata level it would be a bit of a head rush to go from 4 to 24 turma, that's seven times the number of horses on show!

However, none of that makes those from a Cohors rubbish, just differently skilled.