Force Morale & Broken Troops

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Waterhorse

Force Morale & Broken Troops

Post by Waterhorse »

As I understand, it you technically win a game by meeting the Scenario conditions, reducing the enemy Force Morale to zero, or the time honoured "Not much point in going on with this, is there?" rule, that applies to all Wargames.

Now either we are truly amazing at throwing low dice (probably true) or the effects table is tilted too far toward keeping the game going (also probably true) but we don't seem to be getting much movement on the Morale Tracker in our games.

Coupled with this is a question of just why the rules bother with Broken troops swanning about on the table. Apart from some nuisance value why not just take them off as they Break? There is also the matter of Groups that have been reduced to below half strength without Breaking. They are not a great deal of help when they fall to that level, in terms of their fighting or supporting value.

We are considering a House Rule that when they reach that point you roll on Force Morale as if the unit has Broken and remove them from play. Rather than having them clutter up the table as a possible target, destined to be there until the last figure is removed, or someone can be bothered to cause them to disappear within the existing rules.

Any thoughts?

Captain Reid

Re: Force Morale & Broken Troops

Post by Captain Reid »

It's sometimes (not often, but not vanishingly rare) possible to rally broken units - this is especially true for cavalry, I find. That's one reason not to take them off the table. Another is that you can ride down and slaughter broken units with cavalry (or other units, but cavalry is easiest), which will make them roll for Unit Wiped Out and possibly for a Leader Killed if one should happen to be with the group. Not immediately removing them also allows attached Leaders to remove themselves, otherwise you'd be rolling a BtH for them automatically.

My experience so far is that FM is more sluggish to decline in Infamy than in SP or CoC, but this is because of the melee-centric nature of the game.
Last edited by Captain Reid on Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Edit - double post
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Thanks Captain, points worth considering.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

Groups that have been reduced to below half strength without Breaking. They are not a great deal of help when they fall to that level, in terms of their fighting or supporting value.
I missed this before, sorry.

These units are indeed a liability, but they are not beyond recall - a player may merge groups (Fill ranks, etc) to mitigate the issues these units present him - and of course they are easy pickings for the enemy.

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

You are not the only one who missed it. I'd forgotten the merge rule! 😀

Fill Ranks gets plenty of use with us but has its limits after a real hard fight, when dropping down to four or less figures will prevent any more coming forward due to the Shock requirement.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

You can sometimes combine groups rather than Fill ranks in that situation - doesn't help with overall Shock but does put more bodies in a group and manages a weak group out of existence (avoiding any FM roll)

Ben Dover

Post by Ben Dover »

I agree

I too have games where we have breaking groups at the edge of the table that don't do anything.
But, taking them off seems like a waste if there's still a couple left even if they have say 10 shock.

Naturally, a player with breaking groups should be worried about them being caught, as if they do, it's likely the group will be wiped and you'll have to do a set back

Or, End of Act occurs, then you have to do a set back for all your breaking groups and the groups are removed

However, in my experience i can never catch these breaking groups. D6+6" each time you come near them is annoying. One game I had a breaking group go back and fourth like a tennis ball at the back of the map but i couldn't commit the pursuing groups because of the legion nearby

Also, in all my games the End of Act has occur twice and it was in the same game.

Alternatively, I'd prefer if you're being chased all the way to your table edge then the breaking group should removed and not just surf the edge of the board. Or if you have too many breaking groups on the table then there's a mass rout and they all leave or something bad at least.

If you don't know, in the errata there is a change ,Warrior groups pushed back, is a set back.( Previously it was "Warrior groups pushed back by defeat in close combat") Therefore, if you win a a round of close combat but you now have excess shock you have to do a set back. I'll mention that mounted units are also affected by set backs as I've seen that asked in a different thread

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

"You can sometimes combine groups rather than Fill ranks in that situation - doesn't help with overall Shock but does put more bodies in a group and manages a weak group out of existence (avoiding any FM roll)"

True but that kind of defeats the object of what we are looking for - faster reduction of FM total! 😄

Mind you, there would be value in combining groups and charging an FM roll for the removed you unit. Less clutter and an FM reduction to boot!

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Ben D:

"Or, End of Act occurs, then you have to do a set back for all your breaking groups and the groups are removed"

We have had a reasonable number of End of Act occurrences but either too soon in the game for breaking groups to be around, or possibly later on and we have forgotten them, even though there's a check list!

To be honest, your points feel like an affirmation of break by break removal. I really can't see what the messing around with broken units adds to the game. OK combine groups as an when you can but if its not possible, a single isolated group of one type in the force, for example, then Get 'em Off!

To use a well known and somewhat dodgy phrase.