Roman and Barbarian Command Quick Reference

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Sincilbanks

Re: Roman Command Quick Reference

Post by Sincilbanks »

Ben Dover wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:57 pm
Really good aid!

I feel that something like this is necessary for both sides as the rules are asymmetrical for each side

I like that point 6) distinguishes that the leader needs to be attached to a group to remove shock.

However, under 1 command initiative, point 2) says to fight in close combat if already in close combat.
If you look at p60 7.6.2 and 7.6.8, it costs nothing

Also, under supra numerum leader commanding,2)iii), if already in close combat can throw missiles.
p50
"Groups in Close Combat, or those supporting them may not be targeted with missiles"
Ok amendments made, good catches all!

I've added a 0 Command Initiative section to the name leaders part which just confirms continuing to fight in an existing close combat costs 0 points

I've removed the throw missiles from an existing close combat for the Supra Numerum section, this was obviously nonsense...

Waterhorse

Re: Roman Command Quick Reference

Post by Waterhorse »

Obvious nonsense is good, its disguised nonsense that causes problems! 😀

redmist1122

Re: Roman and Barbarian Command Quick Reference

Post by redmist1122 »

Just downloaded both of the sheets from the link in the first post. I take it these are the most current?

We used the Roman one before and worked really well. Looking forward to using the Barbarian one this upcoming weekend.

The only recommendation I would add, is a version number of each of the documents..I'm sure there will be more add-on's and/or updates.

Thanks again.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

redmist1122 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:39 pm
Just downloaded both of the sheets from the link in the first post. I take it these are the most current?

We used the Roman one before and worked really well. Looking forward to using the Barbarian one this upcoming weekend.

The only recommendation I would add, is a version number of each of the documents..I'm sure there will be more add-on's and/or updates.

Thanks again.
That is an excellent suggestion, thanks...

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Many thanks for these QRs. Great to put a stop to the QRS envy.

My Barbarian chums will be delighted!

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

In the Barbarian QRS it says that an ambusher is not required to contact an enemy after ambushing. This is not technically correct, in that an ambusher MUST attempt to contact an enemy but may come up short if insufficient fervour is rolled.

This is from the FAQ's

When you Ambush, do you have to contact the enemy?
A) You must attempt to contact the enemy as the intention of an Ambush is to surprise the enemy and enter Close Combat. You must potentially be able to contact the enemy i.e. they are within the limit of your maximum deployment distance; i.e. 12” for the Ambush plus up to 10” Fervour Bonus for Barbarian Warriors with maximum 5 points of Fervour from an Ambush.
However, once deployed, if the rolled Fervour bonus distance is insufficient to contact the enemy you must still ambush to the full extent possible, even if that leaves you short. At that point you may then throw spears if the enemy are within range, without the Romans being to conduct any Points of Drill during your activation. N.B. The Romans can use Signa to throw their missiles immediately after your Mob’s activation, but you do get to throw missiles and end your activation before they can react.

Hope that helps

Don

Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

Quackstheking wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:20 pm
In the Barbarian QRS it says that an ambusher is not required to contact an enemy after ambushing. This is not technically correct, in that an ambusher MUST attempt to contact an enemy but may come up short if insufficient fervour is rolled.

This is from the FAQ's

When you Ambush, do you have to contact the enemy?
A) You must attempt to contact the enemy as the intention of an Ambush is to surprise the enemy and enter Close Combat. You must potentially be able to contact the enemy i.e. they are within the limit of your maximum deployment distance; i.e. 12” for the Ambush plus up to 10” Fervour Bonus for Barbarian Warriors with maximum 5 points of Fervour from an Ambush.
However, once deployed, if the rolled Fervour bonus distance is insufficient to contact the enemy you must still ambush to the full extent possible, even if that leaves you short. At that point you may then throw spears if the enemy are within range, without the Romans being to conduct any Points of Drill during your activation. N.B. The Romans can use Signa to throw their missiles immediately after your Mob’s activation, but you do get to throw missiles and end your activation before they can react.

Hope that helps

Don
That sure does, thank you!

That appears to be a change from the rules where there is no forced requirement to contact the enemy if possible where the rules are full of the word "may"! I'll try and find some wording that both fits that requirement and the layout!

Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

Edited to include the clarification to the Barbarian ambush and how it must make contact if possible also.. Version Numbers!!!

Will the excitement ever end?

More seriously, thanks to everyone for the brilliant feedback...

Perhaps over Xmas I'll get a chance to do some branding to the document to make it look more "Lardy"!