Roman and Barbarian Command Quick Reference

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Sincilbanks

Roman and Barbarian Command Quick Reference

Post by Sincilbanks »

Ok, having played my first solo test game I realised much of the time I spent thumbing through the manual was spent in establishing what and when a Roman commander could do when activated or when and how they could use drill.

In an effort to ensure I got most of this straight in my head I decided to put together a Roman command quick reference. I have no idea if it's of any use to anyone else but I'd be eternally grateful if anyone with a decent understanding of the rules could have a look through and pick any mistakes I've made out?

I intend to get a mate of mine to have a go at this and in the event he chooses to play Romans I thought it would speed his learning curve a bit. Once I have this all down and straight I'll probably do a Barbarian one as well to include Ambushing and Controlled / Uncontrolled movement of a mob etc

If anyone wants to tart up my embarrassing layout with something much flashier and "on-brand" let me know

EDIT: Barbarian command sheet now up. I'm nowhere near as confident with this one as I haven't play tested it (Under an Iron Sky dominating my table at the moment) but it is drawn from notes I made when playing but any feedback gratefully received as per the Roman one, if there's anything else you think should be added please let me know. I decided the Ambushing rules were more important in the space provided than the "Controlled / Uncontrolled movement rules in the end.

Link to my Google Drive PDF
Roman Command
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13McH5a ... sp=sharing

Barbarian Command
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q3CJqo ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Sincilbanks on Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

redmist1122

Re: Roman Command Quick Reference

Post by redmist1122 »

Just downloaded it...looks pretty good. Will use it the next game out and give you back some feedback.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

redmist1122 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:38 am
Just downloaded it...looks pretty good. Will use it the next game out and give you back some feedback.
Thank you so much! After Rich's brilliant command video I can remove the question in brackets for the "order a group commanded by a super numeria" option since he clarified it in that video, I'm sure there'll be other clarifications and amendments needed though!

wkeyser

Post by wkeyser »

Hi
It would be great if you did this for barbarians also.

Thanks
William

Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

wkeyser wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:44 am
Hi
It would be great if you did this for barbarians also.

Thanks
William
I have some time off next week, I'll see what I can knock together

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Just spotted this post.

Excellent job and yes please for a Barbarian version.

Its an excellent aid to learning and playing the game. Haven't had chance to sense check it yet (which is not to suggest inaccuracy) but I would like to use it in a game or five at the very least to see how it goes! I wish it had been around when I started playing.

For me its still going to be really useful for gaps in playing the rules, when off doing other periods. There is nothing more certain to cause frustration than returning to a set you enjoy only to find you have forgotten half of them in the meantime!

This is particularly important for playing Romans, where there are a lot of specific things they can do at various points in the game that are easy to lose along the way!

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 »

Speaking of a barbarian version...has there been any movement yet?

Thanks.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Ben Dover

Post by Ben Dover »

Really good aid!

I feel that something like this is necessary for both sides as the rules are asymmetrical for each side

I like that point 6) distinguishes that the leader needs to be attached to a group to remove shock.

However, under 1 command initiative, point 2) says to fight in close combat if already in close combat.
If you look at p60 7.6.2 and 7.6.8, it costs nothing

Also, under supra numerum leader commanding,2)iii), if already in close combat can throw missiles.
p50
"Groups in Close Combat, or those supporting them may not be targeted with missiles"

Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

redmist1122 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:45 am

Thanks.
I'm afraid I wasted my week off punching, clipping and learning 1985:Under an Iron Sky so no progress!

Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

Sincilbanks wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:54 pm
redmist1122 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:45 am

Thanks.
I'm afraid I wasted my week off punching, clipping and learning 1985:Under an Iron Sky so no progress!
Excellent, thank you very much for taking the time to give me the feedback! I'll look into those and sort them out...