Direction of follow up

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

gcoops

Direction of follow up

Post by gcoops »

If a Barbarian group completely wipes out a Roman, they "will immediately advance 1" for each point of fervour". With no opponent to follow up, does this have to be in a straight line or can they make a change of direction and "advance" on another Roman group beginning a new close combat if they make contact? Or do they just blindly run on in a straight line?

If a Barbarian group wipes out a Roman Group and advance into contact with a new Roman group, if that too is wiped out do they advance again and if contacting another Roman group and wipe them out too and advance again into contact with another group and wipe them out, do they just keep going and going?

Archdukek

Re: Direction of follow up

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Graham,
Advance means moving in the direction they were charging in, no changing direction or formation. They aren’t that well controlled. They do not “blindly run on in a straight line”, they are pursuing and slaughtering the unit they’ve just broken and dispersed in combat and if that takes them into contact with a new Roman unit then they will fight it.

As far as I can see they can keep going until they run out of fervour or enemy units directly ahead of them within 2” when they will grind to a halt. There is a limit of 2 on the number of combat rounds they can fight against a retiring enemy in any turn on their activation if they don’t wipe them out.

John

gcoops

Re: Direction of follow up

Post by gcoops »

Great! I couldn't find anything in the rule book about changing direction and with another group so temptingly close it seemed to make sense either way, so we paused for clarification. It looks like the Romans will fight for another turn or two but I fear their days are numbered! :D