15mm on a 5x3 table

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Sincilbanks

15mm on a 5x3 table

Post by Sincilbanks »

Hey all,

Just wondered if anyone had any advice about ground scale for playing 15mm on a 5' x 3' table?

My initial thoughts were just to convert inches to cm but I'm conscious I need the right relationship between terrain and space to allow each army to fight effectively and converting the terrain requirements into cm might result in too much open space?

I'm basing my groups on 8cm frontages with 4cm and 5cm depth so the actual base size is a little smaller than 28mm as well if that makes a significant difference?

Anyone have any experience or wisdom to pass on?

Emilio

Re: 15mm on a 5x3 table

Post by Emilio »

If your groups are 8cm frontage, that is only 2cm short from the 10cm that Rich uses. I would use the game dimensions as written.

Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

Thanks,

I guess it would be wise to reduce the size of the terrain pieces somewhat? Otherwise on a 5x3 table in German terrain there is going to be very little space indeed to maneouvre for the Romans?

gcoops

Post by gcoops »

I'm using 15mm figures based for DBM/FOG.

This means my infamy groups have an 8cm frontage but with twice as many figures. So 16 to a group of warriors rather than 8. I just play 2 figures for every one and it seems to work well. And looks pretty good with a decent number of figures on the table.

I have kept all measurements the same as written.

On a smaller table, I would play 1 for 1 figure wise, so 8 warriors per group, but reduce frontage to 4 or 5cm and play in centimetres.

Sincilbanks

Post by Sincilbanks »

That seems like a good idea but I can't really reduce the frontage as I have the figures on 15mm bases and the bases are sabots to allow for removal.

I am indeed playing just 1 for 1 so 8 / 10 to a group and 6 for the cavalry / skirmishers.

I guess I'll do some sample layouts on the table with the terrain and play through a few trial turns and see what happens when I change the scales

runninghorse74

Post by runninghorse74 »

I'm looking at using 15mm figures.
As of yet I'm undecided on the basing.
I the reason being is I game with mainly 15mm and 10mm figures, and my current ancients are 15mm.

1st option is dbx basing 40mm bases,and having 1 base =2 figures. This would mean 4 bases for a Roman warrior group, and 5 bases for a barbarian group, scale would be similar to 28mm so no need to change distances

2nd option, individually base figures on perhaps 12.5mm square or round bases. This is half scale of 28mm figures bases on 25mm bases, so you could halve all distances, the table would then be 3ft x 2ft
Or convert inches a to cm, however this is even smaller as 72cm is only 28" so an even smaller table. This is probably not an option.

I like the idea of individual based figures, but is the table to small?
Though I will already have all the terrain required.

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

runninghorse74 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:17 pm
I'm looking at using 15mm figures.
I like the idea of individual based figures, but is the table to small?
I've played Chain of Command with 15mm figures at half-distance on a 3'x2', and it worked quite well! No reason Infamy shouldn't too. I ultimately decided that it was more fun to play at full distance to emulate the "empty battlefield", but it is definitely an effective option for compact gaming.

Since you already have the terrain (and other armies?), the mass look sounds very cool for a pre-20th Century army at that figure scale. There's definitely something to be said for individually-based figures, though.

If you do go with individual figures, I recommend using ferrous washers from the hardware store, so they can easily be stored on a magnetic sheet. That's how I've done all my 15mm WWII figures. You could even use a small magnetic sheet cut to size as a movement tray, letting you use them as either individuals or multi-bases.