Losing Fervour & Javelins

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Waterhorse

Losing Fervour & Javelins

Post by Waterhorse »

When Warriors who have Fervour are stationary and do not move towards the enemy, they start to lose it.

What happens if they move to Javelin range and then stand for one or two turns to hurl them before attacking. To me it seems logical that this being an aggressive act (similar to doing a Drive By from Chariots) they should not experience loss of Fervour while doing this but the book doesn't say one way or the other.

Any view on this?

Quackstheking

Re: Losing Fervour & Javelins

Post by Quackstheking »

Just standing still and chucking spears will lose you Fervour,. The rules are very clear on this - see page 66 8.1, last paragraph which says:-

When a Leader is activated and elects not to move a Mob towards the enemy, nor raise it's Fervour further, each stationary Group in the Mob will lose a point of Fervour.

In raising their Fervour, the Leader is warming his troops up to get stuck in - not hang about throwing bits of wood! If he stops to throw spears he will lose Fervour and don't forget if you stop, the canny Romans will close the range to 6" and throw possibly two rounds of Pila at you and they hit on 4,5,6 potentially stripping you of Fervour which is your USP!

The sensible thing to do is move to Javelin range using Controlled Movement and throw a spear - as you've moved you won't lose Fervour. Then, still retaining all your Fervour, you can charge in and use another spear, throwing it on the way in and if the Roman hasn't closed the distance you will get the first shot!

And you've still got one Spear left so if you are able to break off, then you've still got a spear to chuck on your next attack.

The Barbarians win by getting stuck in.

Don

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Don,

"The sensible thing to do is move to Javelin range using Controlled Movement and throw a spear - as you've moved you won't lose Fervour. Then, still retaining all your Fervour, you can charge in and use another spear, throwing it on the way in and if the Roman hasn't closed the distance you will get the first shot!"

Would you mind walking through that sequence for me, assuming it would start with the Barbarian Leader (Level 3) card coming up, what would be the combination of Initiative and Signa cards. Its the kind of thing we are still learning to put together, remembering the patterns of what to do in terms of game terminology etc.

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

With a Mob, a Barbarian Leader can instruct it to move in a controlled manner which will keep the mob together. This will mean rolling 2D6 and dropping the lower dice but adding on the Fervour of the lowest Fervour Group. Assume you had a mob of 3 Groups, two of which had a fervour of 3 and one with a Fervour of 4. You're 14" away from the dastardly Romans!. You elect to move in a Controlled manner, so roll 2 dice - a 3 and a 2.

Now you move. You drop the dice which was 2 and your lowest Fervour is 3 - so you move 3" (dice) + 3" Fervour - 6" in total. Happy days you're 8" away from the Romans! You are now within the 9" of the Romans, which is the range of your Spears. As part of moving (it doesn't require another activation) you can throw your spears, rolling 1D6 for every two warriors. With 30 warriors you would roll 15D6 - death to the Romans. Your L3 Leader still has 2 initiatives left so if he's close enough to other groups he could tell them to do something (he could have told them before you moved as well).

Next go, you are 8" away from the Romans so you unleash your warriors in an uncontrolled charge on the Roman lines. You would roll 2D6 plus add in your Fervour and then pray to your Gods that you don't roll 4 or less on 2D6 (i.e 4" plus 3" for Fervour, leaving you 1 inch short!) However you do roll individually for each group so this is VERY unlikely!. As you start your charge, you again throw Spears - another 15 dice!! The Romans couldn't react till you are within 6". As you have Fervour you automatically get a Ferocious Charge (+2D6) and with 4 Fervour you will get another 2 dice. If you have Signa Cards then you spend some and get an Aggressive Attack (+2D6) and use up any others to generate an extra D6 per card spent - Pray to the Gods that your 30 spears have left some Roman dead on the Battlefield.

On the other hand, supposing you'd rolled a 6 and a 2 on the initial advance! You would then move 9", ending up 5" from the Romans! You could throw your spears at any time so could throw before you got into the 6" range of the Romans - however if they have Signa Cards available then they could immediately unleash 2 rounds of Pila into your warriors - nasty!

You also had the choice at 14" to roll again for Fervour and pray that you don't roll a 1 and also possibly a 6! The random 3rd point of Fervour could go to the group currently on 4, dropping that back to 1! Choices, Choices!!

As Clint Eastwood once famously said - " Do you feel lucky punk?!"

Hope that helps!

Don

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Many Thanks Don.

Pleased to say that in component terms none of that comes as a total surprise! Stringing them together is a different matter!

As I think I mentioned before somewhere its the jump from Chain of Command where not only is the "options menu" smaller, when your side has the ball, the opportunities afforded by the number of Command Dice you may have is more limiting. Or at least that's how it feels by comparison.

We are going to have a Drill Session next week, setting up a few head to head clashes between troop types rather than playing a regular game so we can concentrate on the Close Combat. I don't think we had spotted you can use throwing weapons on the move for one thing. Mounted Warriors and Chariots, yes got those but Foot? Must have missed that!

One other thing , avoiding loss of Fervour by moving "towards the enemy" seems pretty broad. Where Legions are concerned the whole of the back edge of the table could be argued to fall into that. OK you only have a one in three chance of knowing exactly but you know what I mean. Why was it not deemed as "visible" or "known" enemy?

Perhaps I've seen to many arguments! 😄

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

I'd have said towards the enemy means towards enemy actually on the table. If no enemy are on the table then your fervour will drop.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I’d agree with David (Captain Reid). “Towards the enemy” means moving nearer to an enemy unit, not to some table edge or terrain feature they might appear from.

John

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

That would be my view too.

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

That's totally correct. You need to have an enemy on the table to maintain Fervour.

Rich

Ari Marsson

Post by Ari Marsson »

Following on with another question about Fervour...

Does a supporting group in combat lose it's Fervour? I'm thinking of what happens when it is then used to 'Push Up' - does it retain the Fervour it had when the Mob entered combat or not?