Aventine EIR Archers

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Waterhorse

Aventine EIR Archers

Post by Waterhorse »

I was more than a little surprised to find, on delivery, that Aventine's EIR Auxiliary Archers have a separate hand holding their bow, which needs attaching to the figure.

This is turning into a bit of a mare. Has anyone else struggled with this, am I more than usually incompetent, or do I just have rubbish superglue?

Levi the Ox

Re: Aventine EIR Archers

Post by Levi the Ox »

Metal figures, I presume? It often helps to score both surfaces with shallow cuts with a hobby knife, which gives the glue more surface area to grab ahold of. If nothing else, "pinning" them by drilling a small socket into both ends of the connection and gluing a short length of paperclip or metal rod will hold them in place well.

Edit: And just to be sure, double-check that it's superglue and not plastic glue.

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Oh it's Superglue, just not that super! 😀

The hand/bow has a peg on it but it's not a very good fit so the contact with the lip or interior of the hole cast in the arm is not great. I've drilled that out a bit too get a better fit and it has work a bit better. When they stick they do stick well, its just trying to keep the two parts together while they set is really annoying, not to mention fiddly.

I had thought about pinning them but its really a bit much to have to work around like this. I guess I'll struggle on with the rest (doing 16 and only 7 have worked so far) and then pin what won't fit without it.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

In similar cases I’ve found Superglue gel to have a bit more grab compared to the liquid. Less runny too. Still can be awkward though.

John

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Try a two-part epoxy adhesive - but be aware that an old version will lose its "sticking" properties.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

OK, managed to fix all 16 eventually and only needed to drill and pin 4 in the end!

At least if any of them get dropped in the future, I’ve had practice in how to repair them now!

raymondh

Post by raymondh »

I had the same issue with my Aventine Auxiliaries. They're cast in pewter which is the reason they have issue with some superglue. I found that Gel superglue works, that and plenty of swearing!

Waterhorse

Post by Waterhorse »

Pewter? Never thought of that!

I did find Gel worked better. The downside being the setting time seems longer. The bond seems strong when it eventually does go off but trying to keep effective contact while it does so is no fun at all !