limited fervour

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

bandrsntch

limited fervour

Post by bandrsntch »

Two Tribal Levy Groups with Limited Fervour are ambushing from woods and when deploying roll for Fervour getting a 4 and a 6. Normally this would give one Group four and the other five points of Fervour. But according to the definition of Limited Fervour on bottom of page 74, "These Groups may only have a maximum of three points of Fervour. If their Fervour exceeds this, it will immediately fall to one point. "

So do they end up with three or one Fervour?

Archdukek

Re: limited fervour

Post by Archdukek »

I’d say it falls to 1. They got overexcited and confused, probably started fighting each other. :D
Inciting Fervour is a double edged sword, there is always a risk that the warriors will find the Leader’s pep talk less than inspirational. Especially with Levy troops.

John

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

Spoke to Rich about this.

He said the Fervour for Levy was "limited" to three so when Levy with the Limited Fervour characteristic ambush their Fervour is automatically allocated at 3, as that is the minimum they can roll when ambushing (and the maximum they can have with Limited Fervour").

Don

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Sorry Don, but where does it say that in the rules.
It may be Rich’s intent but there is nothing which says that Groups of Levy automatically gain 3 Fervour and that they do not roll a D6 when Ambushing. So there is the possibility that they may roll a 4-6 and find their Fervour drops to 1 because of the application of the Limited Fervour rule.

Personally I think the rules as written work.

John

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

They could roll a D6 to get Fervour when ambushing but the lowest they could get would be 3 so as they are limited to 3 that is the maximum and minimum they can get.

It's not explicitly written in the rules but if they roll 4,5 or 6 for Fervour as they are limited to 3 that's all they get.So it effectively means that Levy Groups do not need to roll as the best they can get is 3 Fervour.

Don

bandrsntch

Post by bandrsntch »

Rich's answer makes sense to me, otherwise barbarian levy units would be completely useless. That's the way I played it and they still didn't do very good even though they had two Groups ambushing a Roman Auxiliary Unit in open order. The Romans were driven back 4 inches from Shock but the Kills were even. Have been trying the rules out on Tabletop Simulator and finding there's way to much to comprehend. Will take some time to get up to speed with these rules, but really liking how they play out.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Thanks for the reply Don.

So basically what you are saying is that the second sentence in the definition of Limited Fervour does not apply in an Ambush situation when using Tribal Levy. Rather than it taking effect 50% of the time. Presumably it only applies should a Leader attempt to stoke up a Levy’s Fervour during the game.

Definitely one for the FAQ I would suggest since it isn’t clear from reading the rules.

John

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking »

John, I agree it’s one for the FAQ. Hence the reason I spoke to Rich for his view before responding.

The key phrase is Limited Fervour is “limited to 3”. Thus in ambush the most they can earn is 3 so any dice roll of 4-6 defaults to 3 Fervour. In normal play, any roll which takes Fervour over 3 defaults to 1.

Once there are a few (not many so far) questions, I suspect Rich may compile an Official FAQ.

Don

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard »

The rules very explicitly state that troops with limited fervour are capped at three points. That’s the number they are capped at. They cannot exceed that. So, in ambush, whatever they roll, they cannot exceed 3 points if fervour.

Rich

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt »

The confusion is coming because the rules also say:
Limited Fervour on bottom of page 74, "These Groups may only have a maximum of three points of Fervour. If their Fervour exceeds this, it will immediately fall to one point. "
Which suggest that if you roll over 3 Fervour when ambushing, it drops to one.
Anyway, if the intent is that they always have 3 Fervour when ambushing, that is clear. Thanks.