recommended figures

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

l'audace

recommended figures

Post by l'audace »

I am really excited about these rules as I've always had a facination with Gauls and Celts before they were pushed to the porifory.

I've ordered the rules and am waiting excitingly but I've never paited ancients before.

Does anyone have any recommendations on figures? I usually do 15/18's for SP2 and CoC but maybe 28's might work for this scale since none of my building will transfer. What's out there in 28 available in the US? What do you recommend?

Thanks

Jim

genew49

Re: recommended figures

Post by genew49 »

In 18mm Old Glory has Gauls, Germans and Dacians. There are only 3 sets for Early Imperial Rome, all infantry. There are 8 sets of “Romans” that include cavalry. They also have Gauls and and Germans in 25/28 under Caesar’s Gallic Wars. A US company.

AB at Eureka USA has a small range of 18mm Romans. Noteworthy among them are the mule train, 2 wagons with drivers and several types of wagon loads.

I’m not a 15mm guy but I’m sure the usual suspects carry lots of Romans.

Plenty in 28mm also. I just purchased Victrix EIR from Badger games here in US. I’m sure that there are other US based stores that sell them. Warlord plastics are popular And there’s a lot available in metal.

DougM

Post by DougM »

I used Victrix Republican Roman plastics for Caesarian. As these are quite tall, I then went with the 1st Corps Germanic Tribes. But there are a ton of figures available in metal, in the US Old Glory would be a good value option.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/

l'audace

Post by l'audace »

Thanks everyone.

I think I might be leaning towards either warlord or victrix since they are affordable and come in sets with a variety. All the 15/18s I see come in packs of one variety so I will need three packs of 24 or 30 Gauls and I'll end up spending just as much but have a lot of left over lead.

Problem is I've never painted 25/28 before. I've been told it's easier. Any one have any suggestions?

Thanks

Jim

DougM

Post by DougM »

It depends on what you want as an end result.

This is a Victrix Roman block painted (literally with a size 9 brush with a half decent point)

Now washed in shader from Coat d'Arms and highlights added to tunic, flesh, spear and leather.

Perfectly adequate and awaiting a shield transfer from Little Big Men Studios. Ranked up, these will look the part.

alang

Post by alang »

Does anyone know who makes German slingers that may be compatible with Foundry scale figures/ Or just go with Gaulish slingers and call them Gemans? Regards Alan

DougM

Post by DougM »

In the absence of suitable figures I'm using archers and calling them slingers. My current opponent is me so I'm sure I won't mind.

alanincanberra

Post by alanincanberra »

Yes every range I have looked at has bowmen but no slingers.

Tcpt1989

Post by Tcpt1989 »

I plan on using Victrix Baeleric Slingers with barbarian paint scheme for tribal slingers.

DougM

Post by DougM »

alanincanberra wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:31 am
Yes every range I have looked at has bowmen but no slingers.
My second last resort was to use the 1st Corps Gallic slingers and greenstuff beards onto them... I am not sure how well they would scale with Foundry though, as I haven't seen their Gallic figures 'in the flesh'.