Availability of 1/72 low tier vehicles, especially starter tanks

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Contrarius

Re: Availability of 1/72 low tier vehicles, especially starter tanks

Post by Contrarius » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:32 pm

Recently bought a diecast 1/72 KV-1 from the Russkie Tanki (Russian tanks) series. This was issued in Russia as a magazine 'gift' i.e. supplement. It's a pretty large series issued I think by a company called Eaglemoss, and will doubtless be reissued outside Russia as these (made in China) series are prone to be. (I bought it from outside Russia).
Well, I really can't recommend this series. Probably the worst tank series in terms of detail and quality that I have ever seen. Was fairly inexpensive but still wasn't really worth it.

Chris Gilbride

Post by Chris Gilbride » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:03 pm

I have a couple of the DeAgostini kits that appeared on a magazine. They're quite good a just need a bit of 'weathering'. They were a lot cheaper than the Dragon stuff, that's for sure.
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:49 pm

Chris Gilbride wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:03 pm
I have a couple of the DeAgostini kits that appeared on a magazine. ....
Just bought a few of these. Unfortunately they're secured to a plastic base by triangular screws which I can't find a head for anywhere. Any ideas? Or do I just have to hacksaw them off?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:57 am

If I recall correctly a small flat headed screw driver worked on some I had, though I think on a couple I had to break off the plastic base and leave the screw in place but unseen beneath the vehicle.

John

Chris Gilbride

Post by Chris Gilbride » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:25 pm

Yep, a bit of a pain to remove. I think I just 'went at it' with a screwdriver for a while until there was enough of the screw visible to grab with some small pliers. I had expected them to provide a tool to remove them from the base seeing as they aren't conventional screw heads.
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

Wulf

Post by Wulf » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:46 pm

I've never actually heard of triangular headed screws & screwdrivers before, but apparently I have one... well, a separate head for a variable screwdriver, I've clearly never used... A quick search for triangular headed screwdrivers suggests they're pretty common...