Anti tank guns anyone?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

jasongibbons_uk

Anti tank guns anyone?

Post by jasongibbons_uk »

Have played three or four games of WAT and enjoying it immensly. It has really caught my son's imagination.
Any room for antitank guns in these rules? Anyone playing with them?
Thinking along the lines of rules which mean ATGs are difficult to spot, hard to hit but vunerable. Also awkard to move but accurate fire?
Would that make them something like LOW PROFILE & SMALL
1 DRIVE dice can move the gunfacing 60 degrees.
ATGs can change any command dice into an AIM/AQUIRE?

Also to any experts out there-did ATG versions of a gun generally have a better/same/worse performance the the same gun mounted in a tank? I am thinking things like the 17pounder vs the Firefly version or the 88mm FLAK the Tiger version.
bandrsntch

Re: Anti tank guns anyone?

Post by bandrsntch »

Yes,that's what I would give them: LOW PROFILE & SMALL. Bigger question is Armor value. I'm thinking there is a need for tankers to change to HE to effectively shoot at them. If so, one dice against AP and no dice against HE. They should be hard to acquire especially at long range, but otherwise are very vulnerable.
Vulusmaximus

Post by Vulusmaximus »

jasongibbons_uk wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:27 pm Have played three or four games of WAT and enjoying it immensly. It has really caught my son's imagination.
Any room for antitank guns in these rules? Anyone playing with them?
Thinking along the lines of rules which mean ATGs are difficult to spot, hard to hit but vunerable. Also awkard to move but accurate fire?
Would that make them something like LOW PROFILE & SMALL
1 DRIVE dice can move the gunfacing 60 degrees.
ATGs can change any command dice into an AIM/AQUIRE?

Also to any experts out there-did ATG versions of a gun generally have a better/same/worse performance the the same gun mounted in a tank? I am thinking things like the 17pounder vs the Firefly version or the 88mm FLAK the Tiger version.
The guns performed the same as their vehicle mounted counter parts, although the sights are some times different.
The main different IMHO is the speed at which they could fire, with multiple loaders in the team shovelling shells forward as opposed to the loader in most tanks AFVS having to pull the rounds out of racks and manoeuvre round in a very tight space.
A downside of AT guns is that with the barrel being nearer the ground the amount of dust and muck thrown up by the blast could be was huge, which of course has three effects:
1) Obscures sight of the target for second and second and subsequent shots.
2) Displays your position, but conversely could also disguise it.

I agree most AT guns should count as LOW PROFILE & SMALL

For a Pak 40 for instance, I'd have it as:
LOW PROFILE
SMALL
Rapid Fire

Because of the backblast issue (and generally poorer sights) I wouldn't have it that ATGs can change any command dice into an AIM or ACQUIRE?, unless you want to complicate it slightly and allow that to happen up to the first shot being fired at a target. Whilst firing at the same target thereafter dice can't changed.

Big AT guns like the 88s and Pak 44s need to be considered on a case by case basis as to whether they get Low Profile & or Small.

Even the Pak43/41 which was a massive AT gun still has a smaller frontal area than almost any tank.

Lots to think about :)

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."
vlad48

Post by vlad48 »

In the latest Oddcast, Nick and Rich revealed the next Special will include anti-tank and limited infantry rules for WaT
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Nooooooooooooo :D
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Sacrilege!!! Heresy!!!

(Did they say when?)
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Chris Gilbride

Post by Chris Gilbride »

Easter. It's always easter :lol:
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
Vulusmaximus

Post by Vulusmaximus »

vlad48 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:14 pm In the latest Oddcast, Nick and Rich revealed the next Special will include anti-tank and limited infantry rules for WaT
Excellent :)
"What we do in life, echoes in eternity..."
shelldrake

Post by shelldrake »

vlad48 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:14 pm In the latest Oddcast, Nick and Rich revealed the next Special will include anti-tank and limited infantry rules for WaT
Did this go ahead at all? I would be interested in reading it if so.
poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Yes, there is an article in the Lard Annual 2019. Nice variant on WAT.