1:100 (15mm) scale or 1:56 (28mm) scale?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Another_Gamer

Re: 1:100 (15mm) scale or 1:56 (28mm) scale?

Post by Another_Gamer »

SteveBurt wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:56 am If you look at Charles Grant's 'Battle' rules you'll see minitanks in many of the pictures.
Another blast from the past!

Has anyone tried using their Solido die-cast tanks? These are 1:50 scale tanks with moving tracks! I only had one, the M4 Sherman, but I remember there were a variety of choices for WW2 tanks. Very expensive, but if someone already had a collection, why not use them for WAT?

Wulf

Post by Wulf »

Them's chunky tracks! Not bad for a die cast though. I never owned any, but I do remember seeing them & thinking they looked good.
Chris Gilbride

Post by Chris Gilbride »

I have some nice 1/72nd die-cast stuff that I've used to fill out my existing collection. The benefit is I don't have to make them and I don't have to paint them. Although I do give them a bit of weathering if they need it.
You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!
dalemunk

Post by dalemunk »

Chris Gilbride wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:57 pm I have some nice 1/72nd die-cast stuff that I've used to fill out my existing collection. The benefit is I don't have to make them and I don't have to paint them. Although I do give them a bit of weathering if they need it.
But that's mostly because you're lazy :D
Chris Gilbride

Post by Chris Gilbride »

I prefer to think of it as smart. An appropriate use of time and money. Decades ago I had the time, but no money. Now I have the money, but no time. You have to pick the correct strategy. 8-)

Of course, I'm also lazy. :lol:
Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Of late also been buying up 1/72 diecast tanks. Sure, the fine detail isn't there but they have two major advantages over plastic kits, 1: solidity and 2: they're ready to play.

Solidity is especially important in a club environment when you're entrusting these tanks to excitable teenagers you generally don't know. I'm reluctant to let these kids handle a diorama-quality Matilda that I sweated over for several days or other old Airfix and Matchbox models where the main guns and MGs were always fragile and are now brittle with age.

If I stick with WaT, or rather if it catches on among the kids at the club, then I might get round to repainting and weathering some of the poorer models. In truth though, I see WaT as a popcorn game, a bit of light relief, and prefer to expend my painting hours on my main armies and model terrain.
Another_Gamer

Post by Another_Gamer »

A lot of those pre-painted 1:72 die-cast and plastic collectable tanks and other vehicles are actually pretty good. Yes, some are better than others, but for those more experienced modellers, it would be very easy for them to improve the model. However, a lot of them right out of the package are more than good enough for the gaming table. Sure, they tend to cost a few more $ than a plastic model kit you assemble and paint yourself, but for some gamers this would be a good trade-off.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

I would suggest avoiding the "high level" premade vehicles produced by Dragon Armor and (I think) Trumpeter. Despite being beautifully painted and finished they are all-plastic and lack the durability and pleasing 'heft' of diecast vehicles.
Chris Gilbride

Post by Chris Gilbride »

Panzerstahl have some excellent kits, easily as good as the Dragon Armour stuff. Solido is also reasonably good quality. I was also surprised by some of the 'front of a magazine' models that are available too.
Hoggarth

Post by Hoggarth »

I played it this past weekend for the first time in 28mm on a 6x8 set up and it was great. We had 8 tanks going (1 tank per person) and it was a ton of fun.