First games

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Peter

First games

Post by Peter » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:39 pm

I brought "What a Tanker" to the club on Tuesday night. In a fit of madness I offered the game up to whoever wanted a game. In the event we played twice. A Sherman, a Firefly and a Churchill against a Panther, a Panzer IV and a Panzer III. The British won 4-0 - a Pz IV appeared at the table edge after the first casualty - but that included the Firefly surviving a flank shot from the Panther, so a deal of luck was involved.
The second game was set in 1940 with rather smaller tanks - two Pz III v an S35 and an H39. Rather more cat and mouse, lots one 0 and 1 net hits, mostly being rallied off, and we didn't get it finished in time.
I was really pleased at how easily the game ran. Only two problems I was aware of - I frequently forgot the extra strike dice for unbuttoned targets. I'd also gone over the top with the terrain, putting in high walls and a number of hills as well as a crossroads hamlet and a farm complex (thankyou, 4Ground!). Line of sight with different levels of terrain was somewhat tricky: when were you in the dead ground behind the high wall, when the other tank was on the top of a hill, for example. I'd probably not repeat that unless I had a specific scenario in mind, though it did give a mix of long and shorter lines of sight.

Peter

vlad48

Re: First games

Post by vlad48 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:00 am

it's interesting you managed two games in one night with the new rules - watching the Beasts of War demo game I was a little concerned that there isn't enough accuracy and killing power even at close range to satisfactorily resolve things but it sounds like you managed it - well done

bvera

Post by bvera » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:46 pm

We played Sunday and only managed to get 1 kill in 3 hours, and it was a Panther vs a Stuart caught offguard. Not so easy to get the perfect set of dice results to acquire, aim and fire in one turn; and neither to get enough net hits to cripple the enemy. It’s easy to lose the aim as the enemy only has to move during his activation.

My take after the first game is that one should not take WAT too seriously, as much depend on the dice results over which you have very little control.
Benito
...and visit my blog! http://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/

vlad48

Post by vlad48 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:05 pm

bvera wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:46 pm
We played Sunday and only managed to get 1 kill in 3 hours, and it was a Panther vs a Stuart caught offguard. Not so easy to get the perfect set of dice results to acquire, aim and fire in one turn; and neither to get enough net hits to cripple the enemy. It’s easy to lose the aim as the enemy only has to move during his activation.

My take after the first game is that one should not take WAT too seriously, as much depend on the dice results over which you have very little control.
From the outset this game has been promoted as a "fun" rule set rather than one that is very serious about being a "tanker sim". Based on my short time playing and watching demo videos I think WaT really succeeds as an entertaining game mechanic that captures the frantic nature of tank crews in combat - but arguably could still use some tweaking to be more "realistic" than it is. You noted only a single kill in 3 hours and we had a similar experience in our first game, albeit with weaker 1940s tanks (mind you, the armour was weaker too!).

With this in mind I've already penned my first variant in which tanks get bonuses to hit and damage and closer range. While this still needs testing add +1 for to-hit rolls at close range (tentatively 12" for 15mm and 18" for 20/28mm). As well add +1 Strike Dice when hitting at close range. (a further suggestion I've seen is adding +1 to hit if you already hit the target and neither of your tanks have moved since).

It really looks like Nick didn't want to make it too easy to destroy a tank in these rules and probably in some test games things worked fine if shooters had strong dicing. However, as you described and as demonstrated in the Beasts of War video, we also see games in which tanks can hammer away at close range without even hits or damaging each other.

Getting the balance right isn't easy on these things but I'd guess that getting the hitting and damaging stats "right" will be important for these rules to take off, which I hope they do.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:27 pm

Nah you njst need to play me.
Enemy hit 6 dice 5 hits.
Me eight dice for armour saves?
Roll....oh none
Reaches for smoke marker.

vlad48

Post by vlad48 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:01 am

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:27 pm
Nah you njst need to play me.
Enemy hit 6 dice 5 hits.
Me eight dice for armour saves?
Roll....oh none
Reaches for smoke marker.
- lol, that happens to me too. Forget about the perfect rules, I'm trying to find reasonable dice.
Problem is, I often host games with my snarly club members and if they can't hit at point blank they will let me know about it. Funny I was just solo testing the game with 1944 stuff and things were blowing up quite well.
So, the core rules are great but if guys want to juice up the damage at closer ranges I know they'll come up with inventive ways to do it.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:50 am

If you felt you really had to you could adopt the Advanced Firing Rule from CoC which would see you hit on a 4, 5, 6 against frontal armour, 3+ on flank and 2+ on rear. (Page 70)

While WAT has no stated groundscale because TFL didn't think it necessary to quote one, Rich has mentioned on the Yahoo Group that he thinks of it as 12" equals 200yards. So 12" in WAT would be within "CoC table range" and you might apply the advanced firing rules then.

John

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:36 pm

I am viewing this game as a bit of fun. But after playing 2 games, I found that there is some significant decision making.

Played two 1 on 1 games both lasted less than 45 minutes, it was fun.

I think the BoW game had a lot of strange dicing plus it was a demo game.

John