Humbers and Pumas and Stags, oh my

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Peter

Re: Humbers and Pumas and Stags, oh my

Post by Peter »

I thought most armoured cars were recce vehicles. I'd be surprised if it were a tank hunter (to be honest, I'm surprised that stugs are, I thought thee main role was as self-propelled artillery, but I'll no doubt be corrected on that).
Be careful not to make things too effective just because they are cool :)

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

bvera wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:55 pm
Interesting discussion as I have one model used as support in my CoC games
Considering the Puma’s gun (75mm), would it merit to be in the “tank destroyer” category too?
Pumas gun was 50mm and it was most deriniately a recce vehicle.

The Sdkfz 234/4 on the other hand had a pak 40 on board and was meant to hunt enemy armour.

whoa mohamed

Post by whoa mohamed »

The puma only had a 5Cm gun in a fully enclosed turret (Sdkfz 234/2).the open topped 234/4 had a 7.5cm gun.

Wulf

Post by Wulf »

jony663 wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:00 pm
I think common sense works with the Puma, fast on road, cannot turn in place and I see it as small.
It is most definitely not small, it's the length and height of a Panzer iV, or a T-34, and either the same width or marginally narrower. 8-wheel armoured cars were BIG wheeled vehicles.

Mind you, the Boarhound was bigger. They're monstrous...

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt »

One feature of the Puma (and all 8-wheeled German armoured cars) was that they featured another driving position at the back, so they could be driven backwards as fast as forwards. So they should go the same speed backwards as forwards. Maybe you need to spend a drive dice for the driver to swap positions.
Wheeled vehicles should be fast on roads.

Wulf

Post by Wulf »

SteveBurt wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:02 am
One feature of the Puma (and all 8-wheeled German armoured cars) was that they featured another driving position at the back, so they could be driven backwards as fast as forwards. So they should go the same speed backwards as forwards. Maybe you need to spend a drive dice for the driver to swap positions.
I've been wondering about this. Did they still steer with the front wheels? If so, that'd be rather awkward... Also, was that extra driving position still there on the 234/3 and 234/4 (the ones with the 7.5cm guns)? It also looks like a very cramped & incomplete driving position - I was thinking they'd still get 2 dice for movement, but not be FAST. I don't think the driver actually moves - I've seen mentions of an 'assistant driver' - another crewman takes over.
Wheeled vehicles should be fast on roads.
Agreed.

Wulf

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

On the 8 wheeler, the front and rear wheels turned when the steering wheel was turned. This made them very agile but not as much as a tracked or half tracked vehicle. There was an assistant driver who could then take over the rear position when reversing but I don't think he sat there permanently.

Herkybird

Post by Herkybird »

I have had some ideas about armoured cars...obviously armour and strike values are easy, but I think movement for wheeled vehicles could be handled by this rule:
ACs throw 3 D6's for movement. If on a road for the whole move, choose the best 2 dice. If off road, choose the 2 worst dice. :?:

Wulf

Post by Wulf »

Peter wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:45 pm
I thought most armoured cars were recce vehicles. I'd be surprised if it were a tank hunter (to be honest, I'm surprised that stugs are, I thought thee main role was as self-propelled artillery, but I'll no doubt be corrected on that).
While StuGs were originally envisaged as mobile fire support/assault guns to support infantry, they were very quickly pressed into service as anti-tank weapons, and later versions were built with that job in mind.

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc »

Speaking of the Panhard.... Does anyone have numbers for the vehicle's armor and # of strikes for the 25mm? It's a favorite of mine and I have 3 in the pipeline and would like to use one for our Christmas game.