M10 Tank Destroyer and Ramming

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Edmund

M10 Tank Destroyer and Ramming

Post by Edmund » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:25 pm

I been reading up the Ramming Rules, but I do not understand about paying 3 Drive Dice. It this is a payment or do you use the Dice to more forward at 6D6?

The other question is about the M10/Acheilles Tank Destroyer. It is list as being "Fast". Is this an errata? because the M10 top speed was only 30mph, which is simler to the Sherman?

Truscott Trotter

Re: M10 Tank Destroyer and Ramming

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:26 pm

Yeah I wondered about that too I suspect it is to allow it more manoeuvrability rather than a higher straight line speed - ie you swap out a dice for a move so always move a t least 1D6
After all if an M-10 is fast at 30mph whats a M-18 at 50 mph? :D

EDIT: With ramming we have played it as you use the Dice to more forward at 6D6? but you must use 3 D6 as a minimum plus any extra for obstacles or turns
Last edited by Truscott Trotter on Wed May 01, 2019 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

siggian

Post by siggian » Wed May 01, 2019 12:16 am

Yeah, I think it's sort of a reflection of shoot 'n scoot.

The problem is more one of terminology, similar to "heavy armour"

Edmund

Post by Edmund » Fri May 10, 2019 10:18 am

Thanks, Made a bit clearer for me on Ramming. So you must pay the 3 Move Command Dice to Ram, but play them one by one as normal (Move of 2d6 each time), the crew might break or shoot on the way in.

I spotted a few more tanks which are Fast, but move at 30mph on the list!

magicfan

Post by magicfan » Sun May 12, 2019 10:32 am

On the M10 = Fast, there is simular situation with the Sherman Firefly which is rated Slow but it by no means lacked speed, it was just slower than the standard Shermans it usually worked with. The rules I think are in that case are reflecting the danger of the Firefly getting left behind in an advance.
(On ramming: I have yet to play in a game where somebody attempts a ram, we did have had someone forced to reverse into a wrecked vehicle (and got an unwelcome temporary loss of 1 command dice)

Seret

Post by Seret » Wed May 15, 2019 2:38 pm

M10 being "fast" is the same as the Jagdpanzer 38T being "fast". Nick did it not because the vehicle actually was fast (they weren't) but because he wanted players to be able to use hit-and-run tactics. I see his point, but I don't think the rule really encourages that. If you give a wargamer a vehicle with the "fast" attribute he's just as likely to go tearing around the table.

Personally I think it would have been better to give them a different "shoot-n-scoot" tag which actually did what Nick intended (maybe allow them to change any one dive to a drive one as long as they're reversing? Or allow them to reverse at 2d6?)

Ramming, yes you must have at least three drive dice to attempt a ram, but you only have to actually move until you're in contact with the other tank. At that point you stop. Suddenly.

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed May 15, 2019 4:00 pm

Unless it's a Tetrarch, and you are in a King Tiger...

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Wed May 15, 2019 8:38 pm

I like the idea of shoot n scoot.
Maybe replace fast with that in the TD special rules.
I think changing one die to reversing at 2D6 for 1 die only.