Use of the Tanker Deck in 1 off games.

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

magicfan

Use of the Tanker Deck in 1 off games.

Post by magicfan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:25 pm

In our club we play WAT as 1 off battles with each player bringing and using their own tank models to a set number of points and each game they try different types of tank with no set year of the war (so no career ladder used) As the points system favours the later heavier tanks (not usually a problem if you play to a set year and the latest available types) here is a simple way we have found for using the Tanker Deck cards AND give the brave player who fields four 1939 light tanks vs. a King Tiger a better chance:
Level 1 tanks get 3 cards from the Tanker Deck. Level 2 = 2 cards. level 3 and 4 = 1 card each. Level 5 and above NO cards.
You could use the option that is in the rule book of giving each tank a card at the start and use the above suggestion as additional cards but I have not tried that yet. Happy Tanking! (from a player that uses Tank models in Finland markings- now there is a thought for a career ladder)

Seret

Re: Use of the Tanker Deck in 1 off games.

Post by Seret » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 am

We do tend to give everybody an extra card. We do use the career ladder and track kill rings between games, but since it's a multiplayer thing there are always a few bodies who've joined in on the night and so are starting from scratch. We like them to have a card up their sleeve, as some of them can be quite comedy to play at the right moment.

Herkybird

Post by Herkybird » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:20 pm

Of course, you could always use my points system, which, while not perfect, does give a more balanced game than the original points system in the rulebook! http://herkybird.tynesidewargames.co.uk/misc.html

magicfan

Post by magicfan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:00 pm

This is an ammendment to my post above: Having played more games with my own system I described above, I have found that giving a level 4 tank an extra Tanker card does make them just a tiny bit too powerful for their points cost, so now for my one off games:- Level 1tank = 3 extra cards, level 2 = 2 extra cards, level 3 = 1 extra card and LEVEL 4 AND ABOVE = no extra cards. Thank you for your attention.