First post and newbie question

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

vodkafan

Re: First post and newbie question

Post by vodkafan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:53 am

This is kind of driving me mad now, the way only a wargaming thing can do....

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:53 pm

V,

At the level you've gone for I would suggest General de Brigade, with perhaps treating each battalion as a brigade for command and control purposes. I.e. the battalion, artillery and cavalry commanders are your "brigadiers" under the rules.

Another consideration is to allow your units to sustain more casualties then the main rules permit, so you're overall command has greater resilience.

Just some thoughts.

DB

vodkafan

Post by vodkafan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:18 am

DCRBrown wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:53 pm
V,

At the level you've gone for I would suggest General de Brigade, with perhaps treating each battalion as a brigade for command and control purposes. I.e. the battalion, artillery and cavalry commanders are your "brigadiers" under the rules.

Another consideration is to allow your units to sustain more casualties then the main rules permit, so you're overall command has greater resilience.

Just some thoughts.

DB
Thanks David for your reply, yes that's the way I was thinking of going. My only worry was that it would get messy with the subordinate companies (battalions in the rules) as there would be many more of them (up to 10 of course in the British battalions). I have been thinking about having the battalion as one entity unless companies or groups of companies get detached, then those companies would become a separate unit; it would carry on trying to do what it was ordered to do but if it became disordered or whatever, but without an officer it would not be able to rally....I haven't read either Gd'B or Gd'A yet, coming on the forum and asking questions was my first exploration of the idea (although I have been collecting the figures for this project for a couple of years). I am also not a very experienced wargamer. So thanks for not dismissing the idea at first sight!

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:14 am

Hi Vodkafan,
It might simplify your task to keep in mind that companies in this period were generally administrative units not tactical ones. When a British battalion was deployed in line it would be divided up into 8 platoons of equal size arranged in 4 divisions for firing using the platoon firing drill. A French battalion could also combine its companies into divisions of two companies. So you could quite legitimately reduce the number of subunits in your battalions for playing purposes.

John

vodkafan

Post by vodkafan » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 am

Archdukek wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:14 am
Hi Vodkafan,
It might simplify your task to keep in mind that companies in this period were generally administrative units not tactical ones. When a British battalion was deployed in line it would be divided up into 8 platoons of equal size arranged in 4 divisions for firing using the platoon firing drill. A French battalion could also combine its companies into divisions of two companies. So you could quite legitimately reduce the number of subunits in your battalions for playing purposes.

John
This is definitely stuff I need to know....I have been collecting figures but as yet have done very little reading on the whole subject...I had the information from somewhere that the British centre companies were divided into two "wings" of 4 coys each? I was planning to do a command base for each wing...I have to start doing some proper research.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:40 pm

You could try some of the Osprey Napoleonic Tactics books to give you an introduction to the subject before delving deeper.

And yes British battalions could operate as two wings, one commanded by the lieutenant colonel and the other by the major. More common with the larger battalions, like the Guards. Both Field Officers were usually mounted.

John