Measuring Skirmish Fire Distance

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Imperator

Measuring Skirmish Fire Distance

Post by Imperator » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:44 pm

Our group has been enjoying the GDA rules quite a bit lately! A question arose in last night's game that we couldn't find a clear answer to:

If part of a skirmish unit is out of range from a target, how do you determine how many CD to roll?

For example, a widely-spaced skirmish unit of five bases, where only two are within range to fire and three are too far away.

Should you consider this as a 'two base' unit, therefore firing with 2 CD? Does the whole unit still fire, therefore using 4 CD? Should you adopt the rule from p. 75 concerning volley fire for restricted fire and line of sight, so if 75%+ are within distance then fire with 100% effect, if 50-74.9% then fire with half effect? Measure distance from the center of unit rather than individual bases? Other ideas?

Perhaps we've missed something and I would appreciate others' input.

Many thanks!
Last edited by Imperator on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Archdukek

Re: Measuring Skirmish Fire Distance

Post by Archdukek » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:09 pm

Hadn't really given it much thought before. This isn't volley fire so I simply count the number of bases in range and line of sight and use that to determine how many CD to roll.
To me this is also consistent with the fact that a skirmish screen can split its fire (point 7 on page 70) and that in some circumstances not all the bases may be able to fire if the screen is deployed in two ranks (see under Deployment on page 66).

John

bvera

Post by bvera » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:44 pm

We are actually playing as John was indicating: firing only with the bases in range
Benito
...and visit my blog! http://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:38 am

I,

Yes, that's it, just fire with those bases that are in range.

Imperator

Post by Imperator » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:24 pm

Thanks, Gentlemen! Much appreciated.