Review of General d'Armee

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

baxterj

Re: Review of General d'Armee

Post by baxterj » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:20 am

As a long time GdeB player, I regarded GdeA as an improvement to those rules. I think that the title is slightly misleading. It would be better titled GdeDivision as there is still a level of granularity that shouldn’t be there for an army level game.

loadandfire

Post by loadandfire » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:21 pm

How many units are on table in your games?

Thanks

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:09 pm

I would agree that the title is rather misleading if you are playing with a single player per side. General de Division would have been better in my view, but I think the author frequently uses them to play larger multi-player games were each player focusses on his own division.

We usually play with around 15-20 units per side, typically 3-4 infantry brigades of 4-5 battalions plus a light cavalry brigade of 2-3 regiments and supporting artillery. It takes a good 3+ hours for a game.

baxterj

Post by baxterj » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:29 am

I would agree Duke, that’s about the number we use and I would agree about the time. That suits me fine - there are plenty of other games designed to allow people toplay quick games in an hour.

Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:53 am

GdA seems to have all that I like in the small games but and this is a big but, unit depth and width on a 6'x4' table is critical.
If I use my current bases 20mm wide X 25mm deep of 2 ranks and 2 files for infantry
and 25mm X 25mm 2 figures in one rank for cavalry, each figure representing 20 men.
A 600 man French battalion in column of companies would be 4 bases or 8 ranks deep not counting a skirmish line in front the grenadier company would be on the right flank of the battalion either in line or in column of platoons. Picture this on the table as a brigade of 4 battalions supported by another brigade in support behind with enough space to wheel.
It does look good with all the staff or does it ?
6 companies that's 100 men per company that's 5 grenadiers 4 companies in column.
You could put 1 base of grenadiers 4 bases of fusiliers in column and 1 base of grenadiers.
Or have I got it wrong?

bvera

Post by bvera » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:54 am

I'm not concerned about the men to model ratio in my case.
As the important elements of the game are formations and unit size, we have organised our units in terms of "bases" using what we had at hand in 20mm (bases for Principles of War rules).

In that sense we agreed in the club to use 3,4 and 6 bases to represent small, standard and large battalions.

For 20mm models we use 40 x 20 bases and 3 models per base in one line
For 28mm models we have 40 x 40 bases and 4 models per base in two ranks

This modular arrangement allows to put the units in the different formations described in the rules. Examples using standard size battalions of 4 bases:
Columns of companies: 4 bases in column with 1 base front
Column of attack: front of 2 bases and 2 ranks
Line: front of 4 bases

In this case, using 20mm models the standard battalion will have 12 models (3 figures x 4 bases) while the 28mm will have 16 models (4 figures x 4 bases), but as I said, not concerned witrh the number of figures per battalion in my case.
Benito
...and visit my blog! http://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:40 pm

All Wargames rules which use battalions suffer to varying degrees from the fact that a Wargames units depth is disproportionate to the space which its historic counterpart would occupy. GdA is no better or worse in that regard and I've never found it a problem when playing the game. Where GdA does offer a bit of flexibility is that you can decide how many bases you want to use in a battalion. You don't have to mirror the company structure of a battalion or the precise location of the grenadiers unless you want to.

I use 4 bases for my Bavarians which gives the battalion in line a frontage close enough to what that size battalion would have had historically. When put in column the depth is too much unless you consider it as an Open Column so it's a bit more vulnerable to flank charges under the rules but I can live with that.

John