Review of General d'Armee

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

bvera

Review of General d'Armee

Post by bvera » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Now that I feel comfortable with the rules and the game mechanics, and after playing several games over the ast moths, I finally published a review in my blog. Hope you like it
https://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/ ... eview.html
Benito
...and visit my blog! http://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/

Archdukek

Re: Review of General d'Armee

Post by Archdukek » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:46 pm

Interesting comments Benito.

Personally I don't have any difficulties with the skirmishing rules which I think do represent the importance of skirmish fire at the tactical level of combat covered by the rules. It would be of concern to the brigadier to know that the brigade skirmish screen is being effective. I' accept your point though that these decisions would not usually be taken by the Divisional Commander, but given how command & control operates in the rules I can live with the use of ADCs for skirmisher tasking rather than introduce another level of control.

These are not grand tactical rules in my view which is what you really need to handle battles involving Corps and Armies. I know that DB uses them for large multi-player games, but I would tend to equate that to playing a Big CoC game with Chain of Command. Effectively you are playing a series of parallel Divisional level games.

If you want to play those larger games you might want to take a look at March Attack from Crusader Publishing.

Since I prefer tactical level Napoleonic games to the grand tactical ones, I'm very happy with how the rules work.

John

bvera

Post by bvera » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:59 am

I put the skirmish just as an example, not that I have a problem with it.
My complaint is that micro-management of battalions (formations, orders, accounting of casualties, detail management of skirmish screens...) tend to both take a lot of time and distract from what the focus should be given the scale of the game; many of tehse actions should be undertaken by a colonel not an army general. There are alternative ways to introduce the effect of skirmishes in a battle without the need to go down into such level of minutae, for example with modifiers.

Having said that, the command, fire and melee systemas are great and the Napoleonic feel is definetivey therein GdA, and I won't stop playing.
Clearly I'm on the side of large games and probably must continue searching and investifgating other rules. This is the reason why I also stopped almost totally playing Sharp Practice, not that I found the rules badly designed or whatever (on the contrary, they are brilliant) but it was not the scale I wanted to play Napoleonics
Benito

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:12 am

If you want rules with a bit more abstraction, Le Feu Sacre are good.
If you want true 'army level' rules Blucher is excellent - but you won't find column, line and square in there.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:40 am

bvera wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:59 am
Clearly I'm on the side of large games and probably must continue searching and investifgating other rules. This is the reason why I also stopped almost totally playing Sharp Practice, not that I found the rules badly designed or whatever (on the contrary, they are brilliant) but it was not the scale I wanted to play Napoleonics
Yes knowing what scale you want to play at in Napoleonics and choosing the appropriate rules is definitely a challenge. I tried playing Blicher a few times when they first came out, including with a Club mate who was very enthusiastic about their ability to handle big battles and the wide sweeping manoeuvres of reserve brigades. Very elegant rules which certainly did the job he wanted but I was bored rigid. I missed the interplay of column, line and square!

No Marshal's baton in my knapsack it seems! :-)

John

bvera

Post by bvera » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:13 am

I have recently acquired Blucher but more interested in the campaign system than anything else, and whether it can be adapated to GdA.
Still resting unopened in my iPad until I get some spare time to concentrate in reading the rules
Benito

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:47 am

Blucher is a very good set of rules - but Napoleonic warfare at this level is basically an attritional affair.
You won't destroy a fresh brigade with a single attack, so you need to plan a series of attacks, and victory often goes to whoever has fresh reserves.
It's quite different to the tactical level stuff we are all used to.

EQUITES

Post by EQUITES » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:40 pm

Hello to all,

I take advantage of this post for informing you that my review of GdA is available on site of club mate :
http://dorsenne.altervista.org/

(well, the review is in Italian but google translator helps..... :roll: )

enjoy it !!
Michele

loadandfire

Post by loadandfire » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:51 pm

I would agree that GdA has a great Napoleonic feel to the rules, they are tactical in nature more so than army level. A friend and I have played several games, there is the learning curve you mention in your blog. Our first couple games left us flipping pages in the rule book more than playing the game. I would say that if you are looking for a quick game 2-4 hours you will not find it in these rules. Our games lasted 3-4 hours because of time limitations, we were able to get in 4-5 turns with no conclusion in sight. We would have need another session, not a bad thing mind you. The game moves slower than some of the other tactical level Napoleonic games which have been published recently. None the less I think Brown has captured the period very well with these rules without precise basing, scales, and 1 figure = X of GdB. Any of the GdB scenario books can easily be adapted to GdA.

bvera

Post by bvera » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:30 am

Agree games are somewhat long.
But our own experience shows that as you progress with the rules they tend to shorten noticeably. In any case a minimum of three hours is required at least to play a full game.
Benito