First game prep questions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

m1kel

First game prep questions

Post by m1kel » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi,
Planning our first real run at the game tonight. My biggest struggle with the rules is the charge and support sequence. Likely my fault and not the rules;)
Hopefully someone can throw some light in these questions that I have as I do my final read through in preparation for the game.

1. Can an infantry unit not on an assault order support a charge or move in support? I understand they can always support as the defender?
2. Page 40 point 4 talks about the charge not being able to reach the target. Since the charger must be able to reach the target and you can premeasure this, then my understanding is you can only fall short of reaching the target when using the forwards bonus since the normal charge bonus is fixed and known?
3. Page 40 point 6f says units being charged may not charge so as to avoid the charge. Seems a bit ambiguous and I can see players arguing this. Does it mean they just can’t charge at all?
4. Page 44 5b can both the defending unit and any support ie within 5cm wheel up to half move and fire?
5. Page 52 shows a pic of massed French column attacking a British line of two infantry and one battery. The pic is discussing charge result but can someone help describe how the initial firing works here. The highlander for example not the target of the charge fires at the support or the attacker or both?

Sorry about these questions but as I said the charge sequence has been bugging me for months;) perhaps all will be clearer after a couple of games but your help is appreciated.

M1kel

DCRBrown

Re: First game prep questions

Post by DCRBrown » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:08 pm

M,

1. Can an infantry unit not on an assault order support a charge or move in support? I understand they can always support as the defender?

But not as an attacker - to claim supports an Infantry brigade must be on assault, (but this does not apply to cavalry).

2. Page 40 point 4 talks about the charge not being able to reach the target. Since the charger must be able to reach the target and you can premeasured this, then my understanding is you can only fall short of reaching the target when using the forwards bonus since the normal charge bonus is fixed and known?

Correct, (well usually, occasionally the odd player has forgotten to measure .... ;) )

3. Page 40 point 6f says units being charged may not charge so as to avoid the charge. Seems a bit ambiguous and I can see players arguing this. Does it mean they just can’t charge at all?

I.E. Once you have been declared the target of charge, you cannot suddenly declare your own charge to get out of the way, etc. So yes, once the target of a charge you can't declare your own charge.

4. Page 44 5b can both the defending unit and any support i.e. within 5cm wheel up to half move and fire?

Yes. See point 5, a) p44 and point 6, p45.

5. Page 52 shows a pic of massed French column attacking a British line of two infantry and one battery. The pic is discussing charge result but can someone help describe how the initial firing works here. The highlander for example not the target of the charge fires at the support or the attacker or both?

Both the charge target (the Fusiliers in this case) and the supports (the Highlanders) can all fire as the attackers close in and will target the nearest attacking unit. (So, the Fusilers can fire directly at the central French column while the Highlanders will target the French left hand column).

DB

m1kel

Post by m1kel » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:33 am

Dave,
Thanks very much for taking time to reply. That’s a great help...
Our game went really well. Some rule book flicking but the qrs is really excellent and next game pretty sure that’s all will be needed.
We played the Vittoria scenario posted earlier. Only complaint I had from players was that the artillery dominated the battle. the scenario provided an artillery brigade on each side. The British deployed both their batteries in the centre of the table and just blew everything away. We did manage to get a regiment of light cavalry to charge them which was looking good for a while until defensive fire brought about a DT which the cavalry proceeded to fail and retreat;) on a second occasion a French infantry brigade got within charge reach using a forwards order only to be counter charged by British cavalry.
Perhaps not brigading artillery would help....

Still a great game and looking forward to the next very soon.
Mike

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:08 am

Hi Mike,
Sounds like an interesting game.

I'd agree with your observation about not fielding artillery brigades, especially if there is insufficient room or terrain to avoid them dominating the battlefield and particularly for armies like the British who didn't concentrate their artillery in quite that way. I think the default should see artillery attached to brigades. Otherwise it is rather too easy and cheap in terms of ADCs to put all the guns on Artillery Assault Orders with every battery in the Brigade gaining the additional casualty dice.

John

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:22 am

And, coincidently, that's one of the amendments coming out....

DB

thomalley

Post by thomalley » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:31 pm

First, isn't there a situation under"Forwards Order" where you could end up short because of you're movement roll?

Will the change to the "Artillery Support" order be available for Pickett's Charge?

Flipperblack

Re: query?

Post by Flipperblack » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:42 am

Hi Dave,

I was intrigued by your comment on "..amendments coming out...". Will that be FAQ or an addendum etc? Also when?

I am very much enjoying your rules after years of trying to find something that works well and that can produce a really good game. Interested to know what changes you have in store!

Rgds

Paul

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:30 pm

No great changes - just some formalising of the Assault Fire rules to further highlight both the advantages and disadvantages.

And yes, PC will also have a variant, but managed slightly differently to GdA.

Hope to put it all together over Xmas.

DB

Flipperblack

Post by Flipperblack » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:19 pm

OK Thks

Have a good Christmas then!

Will amends go on TFL site or yours?

Paul

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:55 am

Fb,

Both sites!

Well hopefully Xmas, if work would just stop cancelling my leave and the good wife stops turning my calendar into an endless Xmas social whirl!! ;)