After Charge Options

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

vlad48

After Charge Options

Post by vlad48 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:50 am

Another fine GDA group game, another rules question.
This time - is there anything in GDA (that we missed) that allows a unit that's conducted a successful charge to be recalled to the safety of its own lines instead of only having the option to take ground. (this is certainly allowed in other rules we have played but we cannot find it in GDA - perhaps Mr Brown has some historical reasoning for not allowing it).
Of course we're well aware that British cavalry often took the bit between the teeth and never returned but not all other nation's cavalry were so reckless?
In the game we just played a successful cavalry attack proved unfortunate for the winners as they could not withdraw in time when being close to the enemy lines.
Any clarifications would be welcome.
- Walt

Archdukek

Re: After Charge Options

Post by Archdukek » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:32 am

Yes Walt, a 2+ victory for cavalry in Melee allows the winning cavalry to "Return to Own Lines" pages 88 and 89.
I'm not sure why it isn't an option for a 3+ cavalry result. Presumably having soundly defeated their opponent the cavalry don't want to retreat and lose the ground they gained. So it's up to you as commander not to put them out on a limb.

John

vlad48

Post by vlad48 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi John,
Yes, the very specific Melee result you mentioned allows you to "Return to Own Lines", but there is no similar option if you drive off the enemy with a Charge (pg 48). This will leave cavalry units that were victorious in a Charge stranded and extremely vulnerable to other enemy forces that may still be able to Move and Fire.
In addition, in order for the cavalry to withdraw from the vulnerable forward position they must usually change facing to move back to their own lines - which requires a full Move to do an About Face (unless they are veterans or elites). This, of course, makes them ideal target for charges to the rear.
Again, all of this may have been intended but it does mean that cavalry brigadiers must be very careful where they Charge because they must stay on the ground they take - and that may be extremely dangerous.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:59 pm

Hi Walt,
I agree that cavalry Brigadier's must be very careful committing their units to a charge, particularly if they are not supported by friends. Ad hoc charges just because they can could well prove fatal. The ground will need to be worth taking.

However, they are not quite as vulnerable as you fear. Cavalry conduct a Retire move to "Return to Own Lines" (page 89). Troops making a Retire move simply fall back and end up facing the enemy, see the definition on page 83, no formation changes or About Face moves are involved, so they won't be vulnerable to a charge in the rear.

John

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:20 pm

I’ve be just been reading some accounts of Cavalry actions in the 1813 Campaign and they are interesting for a number of reasons.

The accounts show a tendency for Cavalry commanders to commit part or whole of a single regiment to charge, where this successful the opposition often quickly commit reserve units to attack the successful unit. The unit previously successful is driven off and a see-saw performance ensues.

Now it isn’t always clear whether this is down to restricted frontage, deep deployment or some other factor. But what is clear is that the Cavalry Brigadiers hardly ever commit their entire force to one all out charge. And, similarly it is seldom the case that a cav v cav action results in one side being swept wholesale from the field.

This seesaw charging is refelceted well in GdA as succesful charges/ breakthroughs will be prevented by well placed reserves/second lines if you have them.

One a slightly different note the 1813 campaifpgn include numerous actions where Cavalry not only attacks into towns (still mounted) to dislodge infantry but local commanders insist on a combined arms approach to directly assault such targets. GdA strictly forbids Cavalry from entering BUA!! Discuss?? Lol

Nick

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi Nick,
Very interesting comments which reflect the reading which I have done. One thing I would suggest when putting games together is to allow single cavalry regiments in a historic OOB to act as two sub-units when they are the only cavalry present to reflect these tactics.

On cavalry entering BUAs, I guess it depends on what the BUA represents. In most cases I suspect it is intended to be small hamlets or villages rather than a town which might well have the kind of broad avenues or squares in which cavalry could operate. At the end of the day it is a game design decision which I think reasonably reflects the normal battlefield role of cavalry but you will always find exceptions to any rule.

John