BUA size and deployment

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Gargaslittlewars

BUA size and deployment

Post by Gargaslittlewars » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:10 am

I was not able to find much guidance on terrain and deployment. Some questions I refer to 2828mm so measures are in inches

A) table size suppose I use a 96x72 table so 2 regular tables attacker and defender sides are on the long or short side ? Looking at the vids it seems that games are played starting from the short edges to give depth to the game...

B) bua size which is the regular maximum size for buas. To have the space for 4-6 bases of infantry and one or two buildings I think 8-9 inches squares are minimum... What about isolated farms ?

C) initial deployment. Is there a typical or maximum distance from player edge for the deployment I think 12-15 inches make sense and up to 24 if playing along the long edges...

D) other terrain ... Is there a regular or maximum size for small woods. Ponds. Small marshes
.. Sandpits...

Clearly these are useful for encounter games.. If an historical scenario is played then clearly it dictate how to manage things above...

Thanks

Archdukek

Re: BUA size and deployment

Post by Archdukek » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:24 am

A) It's up to you when designing your scenario how you want to set up your table. While I would normally deploy along the long table edge of a 96"x72" you could choose to play lengthwise if you wanted for some reasons or as required by a historic scenario.
This is a game which benefits from having more depth than a typical 48" deep table especially when played with 28mm figures when I would recommend at least 60" depth. A 9'x5' (108"x60") as a good size.

B) Again it is up to you to decide how big you want to make your BUAs, but given that you can occupy them with a single battalion you are probably talking about a small hamlet or even a village. An isolated farm would need to be a substantial size to qualify as a BUA. 8-9 inches square seems pretty large to me though the author does mention in another thread that he uses 6" square BUAs with his 15mm figures which would equate to 9" square for 28mm.

C) Once more it is your choice as to the depth of the deployment zone which will depend on your table depth, but I would suggest that you probably want a minimum of 30" between the deployment zones so that your troops can deploy outside effective artillery range of the enemy.

D) There is no regular or maximum size for other terrain features stated. You can either use what you have or base them on historical examples. Keep in mind that the 28mm groundscale works out at very approximately 1" equals 20 yards/metres.

John

ThePanzerDepot

Post by ThePanzerDepot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 pm

Our group games in 28mm and I just finished several BUA's for our GdA games. I chose to use 9" squares for each BUA. Though I also just use "tall" 20mm buildings to get the effect of village and still fit a battalion in it. I did up a blog post about it at https://thepanzerdepot.blogspot.com/201 ... -part.html

John Kennedy

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:48 pm

Those buildings look very nice John. I think you are being a bit hard on yourself in the post. :-)

John