Would this scenario campaign work with G'dA?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

dirtcheap

Would this scenario campaign work with G'dA?

Post by dirtcheap » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:32 pm

HI I am pretty new to Napoleonic miniatures but I picked up G'dA to play with my dad. We are going to start building Baccus 6mm armies and I have been researching a string of scenarios to form a campaign to go along with our armies.

I found this http://www.thewargamingcompany.com/esr/ ... 812-1.html and it looks pretty good but darn its expensive. Is there anything on TFL or anywhere else that would have a set of scenario's compatible with G'dA that we could build armies for and set up our table once a week without to much fuss?

We Planned on doing France/Austria pre 1812 battles, but he found that book from thewargaming company and it looks pretty good.

We have yet to play the game, but I have been looking to create some paper army guys or simply cards like Blucher has but have not got to it yet. Could Blucher cards be used with GDA?

Appreciate any help to point me in the right direction.
Last edited by dirtcheap on Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:39 am, edited 5 times in total.

msknox

Re: Would this scenario campaing work with G'dA?

Post by msknox » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:14 am

Dirt Cheap,

Just a couple thoughts. The Wargaming Company has 5 or 6 campaign guides out. You and your dad might be more interested in the guide entitled "The First Battle Lost" which covers the 1809 Austrian vs French campaign in the Germanies. I have one of the company's other campaign guides and I really like it. Tons of information (including OB 's and uniform detail), but, yes, expensive. Also the individual battles/scenarios are very detailed and are presented as multiplayer activities. Still, I think they can help lay the groundwork for a GDA campaign with only two commanding generals.

Archdukek

Re: Would this scenario campaign work with G'dA?

Post by Archdukek » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:26 am

Welcome to the Forum and GDA.

I would suggest that you check out the Junior General website at www.juniorgeneral.org
In their Paper soldiers list they have a Topdown section which includes units for the Napoleonic Wars which you could print out and adjust to scale to suit your table top.

The Blucher cards represent brigades not the battalions you play with in GDA, so they are really too deep a footprint for say units in line I would say. If you have them by all means try them to see if they work for you, but I wouldn't buy them to play GDA myself. I'd use Junior General.

There are two main issues with using cards or top down units. You need to be able to distinguish units in column from those in line so having element bases rather than a single base for your battalions helps with this. Also Skirmisher screens involve casualty removal and physically shrink in size during the game so they can be a bit trickier to represent with cards.

I have seen adverts for the Wargames Company campaign guides but they are too expensive for me to take a chance on purchasing without seeing a physical copy. msknox comments confirms my impression that they are designed for larger, multi-player battles much bigger than I would recommend for starting in GDA. They might be a useful quarry for background information, ideas or even playable scenarios once you learn the rules, but possibly not for your initial games.

I'd try and find some of the scenario books for General de Brigade or even Shako. Ideally you want something pitched at divisional rather than Corps level.

John

SteveBurt

Post by SteveBurt » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:28 am

If you used two Blucher cards to represent each unit it would work.
Put the cards side by side for line, one behind the other for attack column, and end on for road column.
Shako scenarios should work fine for General d'Armee

dirtcheap

Post by dirtcheap » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:42 pm

I am unable to find the General de brigade scenario books in stock anywhere and the only Shako 2 book of scenario I could find was this on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Eagles-1805 ... +scenarios

Is this the book of scenarios you are referring to?

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:59 pm

dirtcheap

Post by dirtcheap » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:33 am

Yeah I found those, but I see no link to buy them, figured they were out of stock and if they are in stock that website does not make it easy to buy anything, maybe its my browser but wow.

Anyway here is where I found some in stock:
http://onmilitarymatters.com/pages/dfse ... mit=Search

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 pm

You are not alone in finding the Caliver Books website difficult to use. There have been a number of times when I've aborted a potential purchase in exasperation with it.

It seems to me it still has echoes of the days when it was a catalogue of books and rules from which you copy & pasted extracts into an email to order anything.

John