Some questions after first game

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Some questions after first game

Postby Fredi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Yes I had fun even if, as I predicted, most of the time has been spent with the rulebook on my hands.
Questions:

1) Task Forwards, page 32: you roll the additional 4d6 for the whole brigade or do make a separate roll for each unit?
2) Fire. You have to declare all of your targets BEFORE fire starts, or you just follow the priority at the very moment in which that unit shoot? This is very important! Because if you want to be sure to wipe out that cavalry unit with 2 casualties left, better to declare that 2 artillery are firing on it; otherwise you roll, see the result, then take the appropriate decisions, that would not be appropriate.
3) Skirmishers: how many casualties they cam absorb before be out pf the game? ie: 3 skirmisher bases, how many?
4) what happens to units belonging to a falter brigade that rout?

Thanks!
Fredi

Re: Some questions after first game

Postby Archdukek » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:50 pm

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the game Fredi. Here are my answers to your questions.

1. Interesting question which has never occurred to me before. For a Forwards tasking I always roll 4D6 and apply that to the entire brigade as each unit in the brigade will be maintaining their relative position as they were trained to do. For charging I would roll 2D6 separately for each lead unit with any supports conforming to that. The rules don't say that though but I think it makes sense.

2. There is no rule requiring you to declare all the targets before you fire. The recommendation is to fire units in turn from left to right, but that's for ease of play. So yes you can see the outcome of the first unit's fire on a target before you fire with someone else. Sometimes this works against you if a unit is forced to take a discipline test which it fails and falls back out of range.
If you prefer to declare all targets first, which is arguably more realistic, then go ahead. I don't see it breaking anything but it could increase the hits on units which might have been forced to retire earlier.

3. Skirmish lines remove a base for every 3 hits. However a skirmish line is removed when it is reduced to less than 2 bases. (Page 66, third bullet) So a 3 base skirmish line would be removed after it had received 6 hits. A 4 base line could take 9 hits, etc.

4. Not sure that I fully understand the question. Any routed units in a brigade which fails to gain an Obey Orders result when taking a Falter Test are dispersed and removed from play. If the Falter test is passed with an Obey Orders result any routers are rallied and become Unformed. (See Faltering Brigade Table on page 36.)

John
Archdukek

Postby jeb290 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:41 am

For question #1, p. 58 paragraph 4 has a line that states, "This one Movement bonus is available to all units in the brigade; the dice are not rolled separately for each brigade unit." Based on preceding paragraphs for the Forwards order, this would seem to apply to both the 4D6 move bonus and the 2D6 charge bonus but I may be misunderstanding it.
jeb290

Postby Fredi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:07 am

I think you are right. So it is one roll for all brigade units, and they all move the same distance. This makes sense.
Point 3. at page 57 should mean that I can either move OR charge with the whole brigade, am I right? This also makes sense.
Point 5. at page 58 puzzles me: what does it mean exactly?
Fredi

Postby Archdukek » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:03 am

Well spotted jeb, I think that clears things up nicely.

Fredi, I read point 3 on page 57 as saying that you can use the Forwards Order either for the movement or for the charge bonus, not both. Not all the units in the brigade need to charge for example, but if you use the Forwards charge bonus for any then the other units in the brigade can only move normally.

As for point 5, it is simply confirming that a unit can use its normal move to change formation and can then move in the same turn using the Forwards movement bonus or vice versa. For most line units, as it says further down the page, you can either change formation or move not both. The use of the Forwards tasking gives a brigade the flexibility to do both as if they were Veterans or Elites.

So now your regular French columns with a Forwards order can move forward using the 4D6 then deploy into line ready to unleash a volley on their opponents.

John
Archdukek

Return to General d'Armee