Objective of Infantry Assault

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Objective of Infantry Assault

Postby EQUITES » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:45 pm

The rules state :
The brigade is given an objective. This should be kept brief, e.g.
“Capture Hougomont”, “Take Heights”, “Take Essling”, etc. The
objective should be clearly stated or written down.

The question is :
Is this the target of each unit of a brigade in Assault or is it the final objective of whole Brigade in Assault ?
I mean for example : the objective is the village. Then each unit belonging the Brigade in assault must try to charge the village OR
it's possible to charge other units around the village and subsequently to charge the village ?
How much is binding the "declared objective" in your perspective of assault ?
Regards
Michele
EQUITES

Re: Objective of Infantry Assault

Postby Archdukek » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:01 pm

Michele,
I think it needs a bit of common sense on the part of you and your opponent in interpreting your Assault Objective bearing in mind the orders which would be given to the Brigadier historically. I see no need to spell out which units should attack whom, just the general target of the assault needs to be specified leaving it to the brigadier to determine how precisely he carries the order out.

So an order to capture a village would certainly require at least one unit to assault the BUA at an appropriate time, but not everyone needs to pile in to the village as if you were the French defending Blenheim. Having other units acting as support to the lead unit(s) or attacking other enemy units in the vicinity of the objective either parallel with or prior to the assault on the BUA would seem reasonable to me.

John
Archdukek

Return to General d'Armee