Size of BUAs?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Size of BUAs?

Postby Tim D » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Here is a question about the size of BUAs.

How big should they generally be compared to the frontage of a unit? (My figs are 15mm with a battalion frontage of about 96mm in line or 48mm in column). My feeling is that its’ very easy to end up with BUAs that are too big which then makes it too easy to charge in against a BUA with 2 units.

Incidentally if two units do charge in against a BUA do they both suffer the -1CD for attacking a BUA or is it just -1CD off the total? Even if its’ -1 off each that will still be 8CD in total against 5 CD for the defenders (all other things being equal), which puts the odds firmly in favour of the attackers. It seems like it might be easier to take a BUA than to attack a unit in line.

Many thanks

Tim
Tim D

Re: Size of BUAs?

Postby Archdukek » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:43 pm

Hi Tim,
The rules don't specify a size for BUAs which will really depend on how big are your units. Given that 1 battalion can occupy it, I would suggest that you are probably looking at a minimum of 50mm frontage to a maximum of 100mm for one of your units to occupy it comfortably. Any attacker would have to approach from two sides to assault it in that case.
Remember Strongpoints can only be attacked by one enemy unit.

The modifiers in the melee table apply separately to each unit involved, so both units will suffer a -1 CD. Also keep in mind that attacking a BUA uses a different column on the melee table and you need to win by 2+ to take the BUA first time or you will be obliged to fight again with draws going in the defenders favour. That 8CD v 5CD total is not that generous compared to 10CD v 5CD for two units attacking one in line.

An isolated BUA is potentially vulnerable. One which has other nearby friendly units providing fire or subsequent melee support is far less so.

John
Archdukek

Postby DCRBrown » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:14 am

T,

I intentionally avoided stating a specific size for BUA's as everyone's collection is so different and I suspect every village in the period was probably different as well! ;) (Though if it helps my 15mm BUAs are about 15cms square.)

Obviously they shouldn't be too wide as you've noted, but that is one reason why the attack force is limited to just two units. And yes it is easier to initially attack a BUA that an opposing line, as 500 odd men are not standing directly in front of you with levelled muskets. The broken nature of a village means that defending the outer perimeter is not easy and probably isn't going to stop any attack there - where the attack will be stopped is in the narrow streets and barricaded areas within the village itself.

As John states each unit attacking a BUA will lose 1CD, so if you intend to have a good attempt at taking a BUA you need to go in with two units, so you'll need to be on Assault, (which of course costs in terms of ADCs!). And any attacker also needs to beat the defender by 2 or more casualties to win in the first melee round, this is where things start to become tricky, and it's more likely you'll have to fight two rounds and of course the defender can reinforce! It then all gets rather bloody.....

Hope that helps.

DB
DCRBrown

Postby Tim D » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:45 pm

Again many thanks. I think that helps clarify my thoughts on BUAs quite a bit.

Tim
Tim D

Return to General d'Armee