Garrison Firing

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Petracelli

Garrison Firing

Post by Petracelli » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:52 am

Hi

We are playing our first game currently when we came to fire a garrison we looked at the table and saw 3 cd. Then looking at the mods -1 for being unformed but the rules state that when you garrison a BUA you automatically become unformed. My question is why is this a modifier and not just reflected in having one lower CD.

Thanks

Phil

DCRBrown

Re: Garrison Firing

Post by DCRBrown » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:41 pm

P,

The garrison is only unformed on the first turn of occupation, when it initially moves in. The next turn it can form up, so back up to the standard number of CDs.

See p63 Garrisons 1) 4th sentence.

Hope that helps.

DB

Petracelli

Post by Petracelli » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanks Dave, that is really helpful.

jeb290

Post by jeb290 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:24 am

Do garrisons also have a firing range of 20cm like skirmishers do?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:11 am

jeb290 wrote:Do garrisons also have a firing range of 20cm like skirmishers do?
Yes, the rule for BUA & Strongpoint Garrisons Firing on page 76, point 5, specifically states that they use "Skirmish Fire". The range for Skirmisher Fire is 20cm.

John

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:27 pm

Hi John,

Not sure I agree with the 20cm range for garrisons? Surely the ‘skirmisher’ additional range represents the fact their firing would be at longer ranges than volley fire and that the skirmish line itself is quite flexible with individuals and groups moving backwards and forwards to take advantage of the lay of the land and available cover???

Just my thoughts as always happy to be proven wrong. :D

Nick

Maturin

Post by Maturin » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi Nick
I think the range is needed to avoid a strange scenario where skirmishers could fire at a garrison but they could not fire back.
Cheers
Tim

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:48 pm

Hi Nick,
Well the rules as written are very clear, garrisons use Skirmish Fire which has a stated range of 20cm. I presume that is because DB is assuming that troops in the garrison are not firing volleys, but rather are using individual aimed fire as skirmishers would so should benefit from the same slightly longer range compared to Close Order troops.

I take your point entirely about the the fact that in many rules the range of skirmisher fire supposedly reflects the ability of Skirmishers to move around the battlefield. That certainly would help justify them having a 200 metre range which is what 20cm equates to at the 15mm ground scale of these rules. However, in this case what you are comparing it with is a 15cm or 150 metre range for volley fire which is really pretty generous: 75m might be more realistic. So within the context of these rules garrison fire is only gaining some 50 metres (5cm) which I don't think is that unrealistic a bonus for individual fire.

Of course if you think it should be 15cm rather than 20cm then go ahead and use that. I doubt it will make much odds.

John