Shooting at chargers in normal shooting phase

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

nikjen66

Shooting at chargers in normal shooting phase

Post by nikjen66 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:43 pm

I think this may have been covered in part in another topic but just wanted to clarify.

After the charge phase the rules are clear that any unit (attacker or defender) involved in charges in anyway cannot move/shoot in those phases.

But, can other units shoot at the units involved in the charge after normal movement, presuming that the targets are not engaged in make resulting from the charge?

Hope that makes sense?

Cheers

Nick

Archdukek

Re: Shooting at chargers in normal shooting phase

Post by Archdukek » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:50 pm

Hi Nick,
Hi Nick,
I'd say yes , provided the firers have line of sight to the units and presuming the targets are not involved in melee. I can't see any restriction.
The restriction on units who were involved in a charge being unable to move or fire in other phases simply avoids them being able to act twice in one turn. It doesn't render them immune from enemy fire if they are a valid target.

John

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:26 am

Hi John,

I suppose my only concern is that the charge/reaction phase is a mini-move/fire phase of its own and therefore a unit (charger or defender) could be fired on twice at different points penalising it significantly in the turn sequence?!

Nick

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:08 am

Hi Nick,
I don't see that as a problem. It's not being fired on twice by the same unit, which I agree would be problematic, it is being fired on by two different enemy units albeit at different times. If there was no charge involved a target could receive volleys from more than one enemy unit during the fire phase, subject to the usual fire priority rules, which certainly could be significant especially if they trigger discipline tests.

I suppose that there is a possibility that a charging unit could take fire from the object of its charge which it then forces to rout or retreat in the charge phase, which then leaves the Chargers vulnerable to fire from another enemy unit which previously lacked line of sight to it. However, that kind of thing happened historically when successful attackers found themselves brought up short by well placed enemy supports.

The rules allow that to happen without giving an artificial immunity to chargers or defenders.

John