Massed Column and Charges

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

mike_k_h

Massed Column and Charges

Post by mike_k_h » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:55 am

Hi,

1. For massed columns rules say - "Advantage: Massed Columns permit several units to Charge
an enemy and enter melee, potentially overwhelming a single opponent."

2. In the charges rules - "Infantry can only launch multiple or supported charges if the
brigade is on an Infantry Assault order."

So does 2. mean that in 1. the massed columns must be on an assault order? Or should 2 have a clause allowing a supported charge against one target if in massed column and not on an assault order?

Thanks
Mike

Archdukek

Re: Massed Column and Charges

Post by Archdukek » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:23 am

Mike,
No need, the Massed Column rule does not override the general rule which restricts an infantry brigade from declaring a charge with more than one unit unless it is on Infantry Assault orders.
If you want to use Massed Columns to their full extent you will need to place the Brigade on Infantry Assault.

John

mike_k_h

Post by mike_k_h » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:32 am

Hi John,
OK but I can't see what the advantages of massed column are if you still need an assault order to use more than one unit in the charge? Maybe it is some factor in the melee?

Thanks
Mike

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Mike, as it says under Advantages, if the charge procedure allows you to close to melee then you will have at least two units in contact with one each of whom will be rolling 5 dice before any modifiers. 10 dice v 5 hitting on 4+ means that the massed columns should win easily.

John

mike_k_h

Post by mike_k_h » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:16 pm

John,
Yes, but having two columns in contact with one enemy in melee could also occur if the columns were not massed but under assault order. Couldn't it?

Mike

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:07 pm

M,

Yes, you could but the rule is designed to prevent or hinder those situations were gamers squeeze together two, three or even more columns against one line - which is rather unhistorical to say the least. :shock:

Now, you could order two columns to charge as you say, but they will still assume the same penalties if you mass them. If you spread them out then no massed penalties are incurred but, as you're probably aware, it's not always that easy to achieve, especially against an active enemy or defender. Whereas massing columns is significantly easier to actually achieve and charge in with.

As opposed to massed columns one tactic the French did use against lines was to attack from the front with another column or line whilst try to charge in at an angle at the tail end of the line therefore avoiding the majority firepower. Again easier said than done but certainly worth trying!

DB

mike_k_h

Post by mike_k_h » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Cool thanks David. Must say that I love these rules, P Charge and PzrGren and my gang of middle aged men have lots of fun playing any of these!
Have you any plans to write a set of ancient rules? :)

M

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:37 pm

M,

Actually yes, I do!

It's on my to do list when I retire - which is in exactly 9 months and closing, not that I'm counting! :P

DB

rim66

Post by rim66 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:45 pm

I'm hoping I am reading this right and that the retirement is not from rule writing?

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:59 am

R,

No, not rule writing - retiring from the job!

Then I can wargame full time! :P

DB