Skirmish Bases for Large Battalions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

msknox

Skirmish Bases for Large Battalions

Post by msknox » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:43 am

I've a question that's so army/unit specific that it may not crop up for many folks. I'd welcome any thoughts.

In my 1815 Anglo-Alled army, I'm including one brigade of British Foot Guards. The brigade historically consisted of just 2 large battalions, each of roughly 1,000 men. Per the skirmish rules, as I read them, the brigade skirmish screen would consist of only two skirmish stands, a bit slight to cover the full brigade. While the rules call for loss of a skirmish stand for brigades with half or more Recruit or Small battlions, there is no provisipn for adding a skirmish stand for a brigade composed of large or elite battalions.

A few alternatives come to mind:

1. Treat the 2 large battalions as 4 standard battalions (the way you might break alarge Prussian or French Guard cavalry regiment into two squadron groups).

2. Break one of the 2 large battalions into skirmish order to bulk up the brigade screen, leaving only one battalion intact.

3. Call for the "Green Jackets", and add a company or two of the 95th Rifles to beef up the screen.

Do any of these options seem workable to you, or have I missed somethikng in the rules that addresses my concern.

In any event, thanks for wading through such a tediously long post!

Scott

EQUITES

Re: Skirmish Bases for Large Battalions

Post by EQUITES » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:53 am

Hi Scott,
just my 2 cents....
The rules state :
If half or more battalions in the brigade are Recruits or Small
battalions, subtract one Skirmish base.
Then it can be reasonable to allow the following house rule :
If half or more battalions in the brigade are Elite or Large
battalions, add one extra Skirmish base.
Michele

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Scott,
It was standard historical practice in the British army for large battalions like the Guards to fight as two wings, one commanded by the Major and the other by the Lieutenant Colonel. So I see no reason why you cannot simply field them as two standard battalions and work from there.

John

msknox

Post by msknox » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. We'll look into these two options, at least for house rules.

John, I knew that some large cavalry regiments operated as 2 or more squadron groups. Didn't know that the British Foot Guards followed a similar practice. Thanks for the info!

Scott

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:57 am

M,

Its seems a relatively standard SOP for the British, e.g. At Waterloo the 52nd Light Infantry also operated in two wings similar to the Guards, though both wings always seemed to work together so should probably be brigaded together.

Though with other armies I'm not sure the practice of operating in wings occurred?

DB