Is Infantry assault lost if brigade is Hesitant

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

DD1

Is Infantry assault lost if brigade is Hesitant

Post by DD1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:30 am

Slightly different to a similar thread, what happens if on the turn the infantry assault order is given, the brigade becomes hesitant? Do you lose the assault order, or does it stick until the brigade is active?

EQUITES

Re: Is Infantry assault lost if brigade is Hesitant

Post by EQUITES » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:02 am

In my opinion the order is not implemented and it's necessary to ''pay'' again 2 ADC on next turn.

Michele
Michele

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:50 am

I agree with Michele.
You must pass the Brigade Command test for any additional order, including Infantry Assault, to come into effect. If you roll a Hesitant result then the ADC tasking is wasted so you are best to use a third ADC on Brigade Attachment for that potentially vital reroll.

John

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:19 am

I am not so sure I agree, say if an Infantry Assault order is given and the brigade carries it out in the first turn, but in the 2nd turn it hesitates. Would you say the Assault Order is lost then and another 2 ADC's would have to be tasked to restart the order.

I agree that you would be best served placing 3 ADC's when you are first trying to put the brigade on Assault but I am not sure that the Assault order would be lost if the brigade hestiates.

John

EQUITES

Post by EQUITES » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:59 am

Hi John de terre nueve,
your case is different : the order is already implemented and if the turn after the brigade Hesitates the order is not removed.

ciao
michele
Michele

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi John,
As Michele says you are asking a different question which as DD1 acknowledges in his OP has already been answered previously.
Yes you are correct, once a brigade is on Infantry Assault orders it continues with them. A Hesitant roll simply introduces a turn delay during which the Brigade may not advance. Presumably the Brigadier is rethinking his assault plan.

John

John

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:33 pm

Yes I still disagree though, I think if you put a brigade on infantry assault and in the same turn it hesitates, I believe it just hesitates for that turn only and does not lose the Infantry assault order. You can try again the next turn.

John

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi John,
The definition of Infantry Assault on page 31 says:
"This task requires two ADCs that are placed with the intended brigade or brigades. This permits the following if the brigade obeys orders:" my bold. It then specifies what the rule means. To my mind this is a clear requirement to pass the command test before the Infantry Assault order can apply.
There is similar wording in almost all the other ADC taskings, most of which only apply for that turn.

The Brigade Command test is used to determined be if the Brigadier received and understood the order carried by the ADCs. If he fails and there is no reroll then the order hasn't got through and the Division Commander will need to try again next turn by assigning 2 new ADCs to the task.

Seems straightforward to me.

John

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Fair enough!

DD1

Post by DD1 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:55 pm

John, one could argue that as the infantry assault order is persistent from turn to turn, that I could satisfy the requirements for the rule, by obeying orders on a following turn, not just the turn the order is given.

As all other ADC postings are for the current turn only, it creates a bit of ambiguity (in my mind, at least) with infantry assault.