supports in melee

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

in.cover

supports in melee

Post by in.cover » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:13 pm

When supports enter melee do they use the same charge result as the leading attack unit even if they are attacking different units (defenders support units).

i.e. 3 cavalry units side by side and all within 5cm of each other are facing 3 enemy cavalry units side by side and facing them, again all within 5cm of each other. Player A with initiative nominates his centre unit to charge the centre enemy unit with his two flanking units as support. As I understand the rules you work out the charge result with both sides getting two rerolls for their supporting units. The middle/target defending cavalry unit is an unformed recruit unit with casualties and not surprisingly the attacking unit gets a result of melee with elan.

The centre units are moved into contact and await the melee phase. The rules say the attacking supports can now also be moved into contact if they can reach. Is it correct that the attacking supports are moved into contact with the defending supports? If so do the attacking supports get to melee with elan and are the defenders supports unformed (taking the original charge result) regardless of the status of the supporting defending units which could be elite heavy cavalry with no casualties?

If the defenders were 6cm apart then as I read the rules neither side would get rerolls for supports as the defender has no supports and the attacking supports are opposed by units which are not part of the charge. Is that correct?

Archdukek

Re: supports in melee

Post by Archdukek » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Yes I believe that is all correct. However, as far as I can see there is nothing to stop the defending support units declaring a charge on the opposing attacking support units rather than await the outcome of the leading unit charge. That way your elite heavy cavalry can be masters of their own fate.

John