Rough Ground

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Cearapeter

Rough Ground

Post by Cearapeter »

Hello Everyone

Does 'Rough Terrain' provide cover to those within it. I cannot find any direction within the rules.

CP

Archdukek

Re: Rough Ground

Post by Archdukek »

Hi CP,
Depends on the nature of the Rough Terrain, woods would give cover but a deep stream wouldn’t. The definition of cover is on page 75.

John

Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter »

Hello John

The 'rough terrain' in question was from the 'Heights of Puebla' game from the Spanish Campaigns book.

I had questions in relation to 'visability' and 'cover'. The visability issue was of no great importance in the game but the cover issue could have been. As it was, we assumed no cover. Just wanted to see what others would have done.

CP

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi CP,
I haven’t played the scenario. Having now read it I think the designation of the Heights as Rough Terrain is a reflection of the steepness of the slope imposing a movement penalty. The restriction of close order troops to firing only Inferior volleys is the only shooting penalty. I wouldn’t add any cover effects in addition.

John

Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter »

Thank you John

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi CP, we played the whole area as rough terrain with no cover. Worked well, although the allies decided to deploy the Spanish Brigade on the hill on its own and to say its performance was ropey is an understatement!