Battalions with different numbers of bases

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

Hannover

Battalions with different numbers of bases

Post by Hannover »

Need a bit of advice. My 28mm Napoleonics are mounted for Principles of War ruleset, so most battalions have 3 bases. I think I can just change the number of bases per unit; 2 for small, 3 for standard, 4 for large. The number of skirmisher bases generated would also need to be reduced to 2/3/4 and the maximum reduced to 8 bases instead of 9. As so far I have just had a couple of trial run throughs, it seemed to work fine, but the more experienced players may be able to tell me if I have missed anything. Cheers!

Hannover

Re: Battalions with different numbers of bases

Post by Hannover »

Good point, Polish Lancer - just thought that as the number of bases units can deploy to reinforce the skirmish line is equal to the number of bases that make up the battalion (p.67), by reducing the number of bases to 2/3/4 the number of allowable skirmish bases would also need to be reduced.
Not completely sure whether this is needed or not, it just seemed logical that if I reduce the number of bases in a battalion that impacts on the number of bases able to act in the skirmish line. Will need to test both under play conditions I suppose.

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 »

Hi Hannover. The number of bases in your units doesn’t matter it’s the size of the unit that determines the size of the skirmish screen and for the units that can form skirmish units (such as Jägers or Legere).
So a normal size unit will normally create one skirmish base for the brigade skirmish screen but if that same unit is able to deploy into skirmish formation itself it will generate 4 skirmish bases. Obviously both of these case can vary dependant on unit quality, nationality and size.
Hope that helps.
Last edited by nikjen66 on Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hannover

Post by Hannover »

Thank you nikjen66 - much obliged! ;)